2015 Convention Change

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

Any of you that had reservations in the Lodge or Cabins at Broken Bow already know that the State Park is closed until at least June 8th due to the extreme weather and flooding in SE Oklahoma.

Because of this flooding we are making a last minute change of location for the 2015 Oklahoma NANFA Convention.  Our host, Brandon Brown, is arranging a change of venue to his home town of Tahlequah, Oklahoma in the North East part of the state.  While we recognize that this may cause some travel difficulties for some people, the change was in the best interest of all.  The Board of Directors met this evening with Brandon and voted to accept his alternative plan.

We hope to have more details in the next couple of days regarding specifics around lodging.  However, I encourage anyone that has questions or concerns to post them here or contact me directly (let's try to leave Brandon to his last minute changes).

We are still planning to have most of the same speakers, a banquet, and our auction on one day.  And will still have the opportunity to spend another day or two out in the streams and rivers (only now we will be in the Ozark Mountains).

Let me know what else we need to tell you.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 ssminnow

ssminnow
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:10 PM

Michael:

Do you know if we have to cancel our state park cabin reservations? I have not heard a peep from the park.

Thanks,

Kon

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 May 2015 - 08:25 PM

I am not sure Konrad... I know that several people got calls today from the State Park... Josh Blaylock apparently got a call and talked to someone there... I got such a voicemail, but only got a busy signal when I tried to call the number they left.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

I'm just excited to hear a species list!
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:43 AM

Michael:

Do you know if we have to cancel our state park cabin reservations? I have not heard a peep from the park.

Thanks,

Kon

Hey Kon, I did get a call yesterday from them.  They gave me the option to cancel or reschedule.  I obviously cancelled.  They said they would refund my deposit.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#6 ssminnow

ssminnow
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:52 AM

Thanks Josh

#7 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:29 PM

I got the same call and refund today.
FishGuyJosh

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

Brandon has identified a potential meeting location and is working on a hotel where maybe we could all stay in the same location... more details are on their way.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:37 PM

NANFA Convention Goers,

Our convention host has determined that the Tahlequah Days Inn has at least 44 rooms open for the convention dates at around 60.00 a night plus tax.  There was no place on the river that could house us all.  For the actual convention he has found a great meeting room right next to the river, we'll have a laptop and projector ready to go.  

Also, he wants to remind everyone that June 6 and 7 is Oklahoma free fishing days, and folks can fish all they want no license needed.  As for field trips we're covered under a permit. Also, he has obtained an Arkansas scientific collectors permit in hopes we could get away from some of the high water. The permit is good statewide.

Also, our host has proposed to change the convention banquet into a fish-fry (with some alternatives for anyone not interested in fish). Brandon says, "In OK we only eat fried fish (at least in public,lol), but I have eaten paddlefish grilled and was pretty good, a little like shark."

We still have a few kinks to work out, but it looks like things might not look to bad.

For hotel reservations, you can contact the hotel directly (tell them you are with NANFA):

http://www.daysinn.c.../hotel-overview

#10 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:57 PM

So, if I interpreted this correctly, we will not need to buy fishing licenses?

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#11 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

that's correct... free fishing days and scientific collecting permits will rule the weekend!

#12 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 29 May 2015 - 10:53 AM

Is the schedule of presentations, banquet, collecting dates the same? What species are most likely to be encountered?

Miciah McNelius and I are going together now, and we need to see what will fit into our schedules.

We want to be there for the presentations, banquet, and auction, and would like to go on the group collecting trips depending on the species available.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:51 PM

Yes, same basic schedule. The banquet is now going to be a fish fry.

The fish species will be more Ozark-y.

#14 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:02 PM

Alright, the Cali crew has got our reservations at the hotel booked! Can't wait for the fish fry. Do we know what the new Thursday schedule looks like yet? I ask because my drive time from Dallas Airport has greatly increased, and I want to give myself enough time to get where we need to be.

FishGuyJosh

#15 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:23 PM

I got my room too.  4 nights, 50 bucks per night.  $227. all together w/ taxes.  My 2 queen beds room has frig, internet and a breakfast.  You must call the number to get the special discount rate Brandon worked out for us.  Call 918-456-7800 and tell them NANFA!

I am really getting excited.  I stopped by the Chattanooga Bakery this afternoon and picked up 2 cases of Moon Pies... the bakers have again gifted us with this fresh culinary delight from times past, "as big as the Moon!"  You know Chattanooga is again in the final Finals for Outside Magazine's: "Best Town Ever" running against some place in WA.  I already know the best place to be. :)

I have already printed Broken Bow decals for the attendees and am considering a poster for the speaker... modifying the logo to a colorful species found near Tahlequah.  Awaiting input from Brandon and Isaac.  The Broken Bow decals have the Creole Darter, something we are not likely to see with our location change to Tahlequah.

Paddlefish on the menu!  That is worth the trip in of itself!

I just found out that Tahlequah is in Cherokee County and IS the capital for the Cherokee Nation.  There is also a Chattanooga, OK but a bit far to travel to.

Pack and travel well NANFans.

Edited by Casper, 29 May 2015 - 04:30 PM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#16 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:20 PM

I have already printed Broken Bow decals for the attendees and am considering a poster for the speaker... modifying the logo to a colorful species found near Tahlequah.  Awaiting input from Brandon and Isaac.  The Broken Bow decals have the Creole Darter, something we are not likely to see with our location change to Tahlequah.

Obviously, Brandon would know best, but I don't think you can go wrong with Cardinal Shiner.

#17 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:30 PM

My thoughts too but i could not find a nice clean side shot to work with.  Can anyone?

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#18 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:41 PM

I might have one. I'll check my hard drive.

#19 bbrown

bbrown
  • Regional Rep

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:12 PM

Tahlequah is the tribal Capitol of the Cherokee nation and sequoyahs cabin is near tahlequah. I've only been to SE TN a couple times, but I can definitely see the Cherokee influence there. I'm not certain, but I believe Tellico and Tahlequah are essentially the same word.
Another interesting fact about Tahlequah is that it's the setting for "where the red fern grows". Our meeting place on Thursday is by the bridge over the Illinois River that was shown in the movie and the home place is near there.

#20 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:25 PM

Tahlequah is the tribal Capitol of the Cherokee nation and sequoyahs cabin is near tahlequah. I've only been to SE TN a couple times, but I can definitely see the Cherokee influence there. I'm not certain, but I believe Tellico and Tahlequah are essentially the same word.
Another interesting fact about Tahlequah is that it's the setting for "where the red fern grows". Our meeting place on Thursday is by the bridge over the Illinois River that was shown in the movie and the home place is near there.

Very neat bit of history, and one of my all time favorite stories.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users