Photo

Sunfish ID

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LSUMAN

LSUMAN
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 30 May 2015 - 03:18 PM

Went up to Toledo Bend for a weekend and found some bream beds and caught some nice bluegill, pumkinseed, and what I believe is red breasted sunfish. Some smaller ones we caught were red spotted and longears. Most of the fish I could easily identify but some had colors I haven't seen before and was wondering if y'all could help me out. Here is the ones I'm having trouble with 40e53953d11c7a820bdfb0536c32fa76.jpg6080736a3979d2a55f778d7ff6e384dd.jpg Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 30 May 2015 - 09:16 PM

Looks like a Bluegill X Pumpkinseed to me, I always catch them up at Erie in my marina. I could be wrong though.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:31 AM

I'll second that ID. It definitely has some bluegill in it, at least. 

Nice catch!

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 May 2015 - 07:51 AM

Bluegill cross yes.  Pumpkinseed I am not so sure of in back ground.  Are Longear Sunfish also present?

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#5 LSUMAN

LSUMAN
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for the replies. Yes longears, pumpkinseeds, red spotted, red breasts, and blue gills were all caught. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:35 AM

I think you guys are right about the bluegill component. Then it would seem that the other component would have to be longear or redbreast to have such a long opercular tab. To confuse matters more, the top fish seems to have quite a large mouth.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#7 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

Redbreast is other half.  I see light stripes extending forward from upper and lower edges of opercular tabs.  Longear and Pumpkinseeds both lack that.  They do not look to have Spotted Sunfish in them as i have made those.

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 May 2015 - 11:41 AM

The large amount of turquoise on the flanks made me think of redbreast (at least the ones around Atlanta).  I was wondering about the dark pelvic fins... how common is that in sunfish species?  I know that spotteds have that trait.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#9 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:55 PM

Redear and even some Bluegill can exhibit the black pelvic fins.

#10 butch

butch
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:34 PM

Northern bluegills and northern longear sunfish can have black pelvic fins.

#11 LSUMAN

LSUMAN
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 June 2015 - 11:35 AM

Yes my redear and longear sunfish both have those black pelvic fins. Is that just in males or can the females also have them? And thanks for the ID Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 brushcolour

brushcolour
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:59 AM

How can I find out if my bluegill is a male or female?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users