30g pond stocking

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:33 PM

so I am starting a 30 gallon Florida native pond, I have a lake near me that has some plants, rocks, wood, shrimp, snails, mussels, crayfish, and of course fish, so I am wondering what are some cool fish I can put in it, now I have rods and reels, casts nets, and dip nets, so collect isn't a prob, just need to cool fish that will live in a 30gallon pond. All ideas are appreciated.

I am particularly interested in sunfish and killifish.

oi am in the Tampa bay area if you need a more precise area.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:40 PM

Jordanella
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 01 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

I was thinking about flagfish too, but have never seem them near me.

#4 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 01 June 2015 - 02:02 PM

hogchoker??

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:10 PM

Hogchokers might survive, but would not be a very interesting fish for a small pond, they are bottom dwellers and not that active.

Enneacanthus are good in a small environment, and they are sunfish so that would meet both your requirements.

Topminnows would also be good in a small tank.  Like maybe F. cingulatus, F. linealatus, F. chrysotus, etc. but when you said killiis and sunfish I thought that flags were like the best compromise.  The Topminnows would be fun as they would be easy to see and would hit the surface of the water when you fed them.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 01 June 2015 - 04:40 PM

ok cool, I will look them up and reply back

#7 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 01 June 2015 - 05:06 PM

I like the pygmy sunfish and top minnows, I will probably try and catch those.

#8 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:58 PM

In the Tampa area you should be able to readily find bluefin killies (lucania goodei), golden topminnows (fundulus chrysotus), and with a little bit of looking flagfish (jordanella floridae).  All of these species are relatively hardy and I have kept each of these outdoors in that area during the summer heat and winter "cold".  There are other types of killies and pygmy sunfish but they will likely be not as plentiful or not as well suited for a 30g pond in central FL.  

For specific collecting locations and other key details, I highly recommend that you consider purchasing the Florida Collecting Guide.  Best of luck with your new setup!

#9 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:03 PM

Why not do a coastal marsh theme if you live in Tampa? Slightly brackish water with Marsh Killies, Sheepshead Minnows, Sailfin Mollies, Hogchokers, etc.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#10 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 01 June 2015 - 09:11 PM

its near my roof so alot of water gets in their when it rains, so salinity would be fluctuating alot.

ok cool, I will be collecting some stuff soon, also
any plants I should look for that would be good?

#11 fishlvr

fishlvr
  • NANFA Guest
  • Savannah, GA

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:42 AM

That's the great part about brackish fish. They don't mind salinity changes. I van't speak on hogchokers, but sailfin mollies are especially hardy as are the brackish water killies.
Steve Knight

Lower Ogeechee/Ogeechee Coastal Drainage

#12 al10

al10
  • NANFA Guest
  • North Carolina

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:57 AM

yeah but I also don't have any brackish water where my parents are willing to drive too anyway.

#13 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:34 PM

Test the water they came from, then mix your own to that salinity with reef salt and dechlorinated water. 

Be sure to cycle the pond, whatever you keep. I'd start cycling now, so you can get everything ready and avoid subjecting the fish to ammonia burns.

Edited by Betta132, 02 June 2015 - 06:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users