Fish Identification

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 laceyansaldo

laceyansaldo
  • NANFA Guest
  • Boerne, Texas

Posted 13 June 2015 - 06:20 PM

I caught the fish in the Cypress Creek located in Comfort, Texas. I think it is a beautiful fish. I would like to know what it is.

Attached File  fish1.jpg   65.3KB   3 downloads

Attached File  fish2.jpg   64.79KB   1 downloads

#2 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 13 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Looks real similar to a particular population of Longear Sunfish in the upper part of the Bull Shoals drainage in south central Missouri.  The two lines going parallel to the opercular tab margins suggest strongly Redbreasted Sunfish.  Caudal peduncle also suggests same.  

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#3 fishlvr

fishlvr
  • NANFA Guest
  • Savannah, GA

Posted 14 June 2015 - 02:43 AM

I agree with centrarchid. Almost looks hypomelanistIc or maybe some form of leucism.
Steve Knight

Lower Ogeechee/Ogeechee Coastal Drainage

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 14 June 2015 - 07:22 PM

Maybe longear x redbreast hybrid ... if that's possible?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 June 2015 - 09:55 AM

Very possible and done.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#6 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:46 AM

It does look really pale. I'd say hybrid and mutant, which has to be a one-in-a-million fish.

#7 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:36 PM

It does look really pale. I'd say hybrid and mutant, which has to be a one-in-a-million fish.

If i caught a sunfish that looks like that i would keep it without hesitation, yes, even if i caught it by hook (could just use a little salt and hope for the best)

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#8 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 15 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

I second that! It's a rare, attractive fish, and it won't need a massive tank. Assuming you can set something up, there's basically no reason not to keep it. 

For the record, I have 7 sunfish that were all hook-caught. They're all perfectly fine, aside from little round scars on about half of them. No fungus or other issues. 

#9 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:51 AM

I don't think it's abnormally pale or light-colored. The photo is just overexposed and sunlight is shining through the fish from behind.

#10 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:58 AM

I agree with Isaac.  Just a normal sunfish with bright sunlight shining through it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users