Green Sunfish/Hybrids/Gills/Seeds

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trevor Larson

Trevor Larson
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:30 AM

I fished a pond in lower Michigan on Sunday and caught a variety of panfish. Some I could easily identify as bluegill, pumpkinseed and green sunfish, but others seemed to be hybrids of those same species. One pumpkinseed in particular looked different than any seed I'd ever seen.. it had a longer gill flap and had different markings and coloration than the other vibrant colored seeds I was catching that day. And it was much bigger at almost 9 inches, as the other seeds were all about 6 inches. I'm also wondering if any of these are true green sunfish or hybrids mixed with bluegill.

#2 Trevor Larson

Trevor Larson
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:31 AM

Uh oh.. how do I post pictures?

#3 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:25 PM

Go under 'More Reply Options' and upload whatever files you'd like.
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

Don't tease us Trevor; sunfish hybrids are like crack for fish-heads. We might swear we won't guess on 'em again, but we all know we will...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:44 PM

Like Sean said, you can attach files and then insert them into your posts...

Or if the picture is already on the web, you can link to the url by using the little photo icon on the tool bar (kinda below the emoticon).

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 29 June 2015 - 10:05 PM

All signs were pointing to Northern Sunfish, Lepomis peltastes, until you mentioned the size. That rules them out immediately.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users