changes in the 150 gallon aquarium.

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

I really liked keeping crappie. They are slow delicate feeders, so they need space and time to compete for pellets once you get them trained.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#22 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 30 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

This is my redear sunfish

Attached File  0730150922-00.jpg   80.71KB   1 downloads

This is my dominate bluegill. Just something I wanted to post for a long time.

Attached File  0730150920-01.jpg   79.53KB   0 downloads

I really need to clean that aquarium soon... This is before the water change and changing filter. I still need to get the sponge filters.

#23 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

You meant longear not redear. Want me to change that?

#24 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

I guess. I got it from brian zimmerman as a redear sunfish. I always thought it was a longear, but was never 100% sure. It is the survivor of the first 6 redear sunfish I had. What type of longear do you think it is? I assume it is a female since it has a short ear.

#25 Dustin

Dustin
  • Forum Staff

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:58 PM

It looks quite a bit like a dollar rather than a longear even.

Dustin Smith
At the convergence of the Broad, Saluda and Congaree
Lexington, SC

#26 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

I could see how it is a dollar sunfish, but it seems way too nice to be one  :biggrin: it only chases the smaller redear sunfish occasionally. It is also the only fish to ever ram the green sunfish I had.

#27 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 30 July 2015 - 02:29 PM

Well, better let Brian answer that. No reason for me to correct it for you now as it was not just a spelling error.

#28 smbass

smbass
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

I think it is what I would call a Gulf Coast Longear (stock from the Blackwater River basin in FL). I had those in with my redears last year so I probably just got one of the little tiny guys wrong when I shipped them. I do my best to sort out all the tiny young sunfish if I have more than one sunfish species in a particular pond but as you can imagine that can be quite difficult sorting through a couple hundred very tiny sunfish. That particular form of longear look a lot like a giant dollar sunfish. They actually get rather large even for longears.

Most of the time I just put one species per pond but sometimes I do mix redears with a second species and as long as they are not bluegill or greens you can get away with that and not run much risk of producing hybrids.

Brian J. Zimmerman

Gambier, Ohio - Kokosing River Drainage

#29 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 01 August 2015 - 09:57 PM

well it is one of my favorite fish in my tank either way. Is it a female of a male? How large will it get? 

#30 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 August 2015 - 12:22 PM

So.. I might switch my 150 into a darter and minnow aquarium. The reason is it feels like my stock will crash soon. I have lost 3 fish in the past 2 weeks and my large lake chubsucker looks like he will be on that list soon. He is covered in larger white dots (too large to be ich) and has a fuzzy growth on the area he got hurt in. I also bought a lima shovelnose catfish at one point and his barbels fell off and then he died... And 2 sunfish were fine one day and dead the next...  I'm trying to figure out what to do with the remaining fish. 

Update:
I have people taking my smaller sunfish and my catfish. All that will be left are my 3 bluegill, 2 crappie, 1 warmouth.

#31 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 August 2015 - 03:26 PM

Would this work?

Suckers: 2 white suckers, 2 creek chubsuckers

Darters: 4+ Rainbow, 4+ Greenside, 5 Logperch, 6 Redline (If I can ever get some), 4 Blackbanded, 6 Banded, 3 fantail. Reccomend any other species?

Minnows: 4+ stonerollers, 12+ southern redbelly dace, 4+ redside dace, 4+ scarlet shiner, (?) 6 golden shiner, Any recommendations? 

#32 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:13 PM

Not too bad. Sounds like a fun tank. I would drop the white suckers if it were me. They just don't interest me. See if you can get a hold of suckermouth minnows. Easy to keep and fill the sucker and minnow niche. Brian Z. might custom collect a couple for you. I have kept the rest except creek chubsucker, and had no problems with any except redside dace. That was due to collecting stress more than anything else.

#33 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

Get some Nocomis in there! If you want to try Horneyhead Chubs, shoot me a pm, I'd be happy to send a couple your way.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#34 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:55 PM

Do you know of anyone who has redline darters that can send me some? What should I use for caves? I'm probably going to get rid of my plants and change it into a river tank. The 150 has black plant gravel substrate. Would that look weird? I don't think I can afford to change the substrate though. 

#35 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:05 PM

I recommend buying play sand and gravel from a business like Home Depot or something similar. You could get plenty of each for 15 dollars or less.
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#36 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 August 2015 - 08:08 PM

Dump washed sand into the tank.Probably look fine and fill the gaps, and no more cleaning gravel.

#37 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 August 2015 - 11:35 AM

would Polished river stones be harmful? This is what I'm looking at http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rain-Forest-Rain-Forest-20-lb-Mixed-Polished-Grade-A-Pebbles-0-5-in-to-1-5-in-RFMXPS/206151015 

#38 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 05 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

No, I imagine they would be fine. With all things, before you put them in your tank, give them a quick rinse, but other than that, it should be fine.

#39 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

I think there is a question on here already about this, qbut are there any species of sunfish that can be in the 150 gallon river aquarium with darters? I would prefer lepomis, but any group is fine. I also started the process by removing some of the plants.

#40 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 06 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Any of the Enneacanthus, plus some smaller Lepomis. Bantam, Orangespotted, and Northern Longear would all probably work pretty well. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users