Some of our salty friends

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:34 PM

This past June my wife, Diane, and I celebrated our thirtieth wedding anniversary by spending a week on Isla Mujeres, Island of Women.  The Isla is small, 4.5 miles north and south by .5 mile east and west, and shaped like the number 7it is 9 miles off the coast of Cancun on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.  The water is very clear ~100 foot visibility and shallow, none of my dives was deeper than 45 feet, most were at 30 feet.  the bottom, like the rest of the Yucatan is composed of limestone and is very flat, the only relief being the large coral heads and ridges that top out around 8 feet above the bottom.  Yes, it is part of North America.

porkfish.jpg

There are a lot of fish there.  These are Porkfish, Snappers and Grunts.

snappers.jpg

bluechromis1.jpg

Blue Chromis

cuda.jpg

Barracuda.  We encountered two groups of 'cudas ranging from 3'-6', this is one of the larger ones.  I'm sorry about this image, I was set up for macro and we found some larger animals on a drift dive; it was fast, like being in the Hiwassee at 45'.

lheads.jpg

How Loggerhead Turtles are made.  Same drift dive, wrong lens.

hawksbill.jpg

This Hawksbill Turtle was asleep under a ledge.

smoothtrunk.jpg

Smooth Trunkfish

juvieyt.jpg

Yellowtail Damselfish, juvi

broadstripe.jpg

Broadstripe Goby on Star Coral, I think.

fireworm.jpg

Fireworm.  Look but don't touch, if you do you'll understand how it got its name.

I hope you enjoyed the images.

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#2 Sean Phillips

Sean Phillips
  • NANFA Member
  • Allegheny River Drainage, Southwest PA

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:05 PM

Cool pics!
Sean Phillips - Pine Creek Watershed - Allegheny River Drainage

#3 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

Awesome pics!
Although I don't doubt your statement "How Loggerhead Turtles are made." Is true, the single pair of prefrontal scutes makes those green sea turtles! (The one on the bottom at least) What camera were you using?

#4 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 22 July 2015 - 09:33 AM

Awesome photos! It's a nice change of pace to see some saltwater stuff. I bet that was a fun vacation. Congrats on the anniversary!

#5 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

Thanks guys.  Zoo, yes you are correct those are Green Turtles.  It's kind of a colloquial thing with me, I grew up calling Greens Loggerheads and I just naturally slip up.  I use an Olympus OMD EM-5 in a Nauticam housing with (2) Ikelite DS-51 strobes and either an Olympus 60mm macro lens, or an Olympus 12-50mm zoom lens with macro capability at 43mm.

Bryce Gibson

#6 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:09 PM

Cool pics Bryce, looks like a lot of fun!  I really love the smooth trunkfish picture!  Boxfish, trunkfish and cowfish are amazing creatures with tons of personality!

Kevin Wilson

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Wow. Awesome Bryce. Do you have a preference? Salt Vs. fresh? Is one easier to accomplish the quality of photos you want? Seems like salt might be easier. No current, but then there are waves. Also with scuba gear you probably have more time to devote to getting the photo? I suppose water clarity is at least a bit more predictable?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

Thanks Matt.  No I really don't have a preference, but I consider freshwater easier in that the current is laminar and somewhat predictable and that I can hold on to and crawl around on the rocks.  In saltwater the currents are very strong at times, one should keep the tide schedule in mind, and if on a coral reef it is considered bad form to grab or even touch anything, except with a single finger push off, as almost everything is covered by something that is alive.  Bouyancy is very important, I try to stay as horizontal and as close to neutral as possible, just using my breathing to rise and fall.  Yes, the payoff can be clarity.  On certain reefs clarity can consistently reach 100' but in other marine environments, like Puget Sound where I was diving this past May the visibility was around 10' or less.

highhat.jpg

Juvenile Highhat

Bryce Gibson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users