Photo

New Brackish and Salty Lifers for Me!

11 replies to this topic

#1 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:35 PM

Got to spend a couple days with my family down on Hilton Head Island. A brackish (closer to salt than fresh, by a long shot)branch of Fish Haul Creek forms a muck bottomed "lagoon" behind Mom and Dad's condo on Dillon Road. The water was absolutely brown, but the gators smaller than I remembered, so I took Ol' Reliable down to the shore and gave it a few swipes.

I was very happy and excited to find Sheepshead Minnows (Cyprinodon variegatus), several Inland Silversides (Menidia beryllina), dozens of Sailfin Mollies, and even a few Gambusia. But the real prize was several smallish Fat Sleepers (Dormitator maculatus)! No, none of these are necessarily out of the ordinary, but they were new for me. And to get them all with just a few swipes of the Perfect Dipnet, standing in the same spot, was just heavenly! The only tricky id on the bunch were the Inland Silversides, but they were definitely silversides of some sort, and I believe the only silverside with a swim bladder to extend significantly past the front of the anal fin is beryllina.

Pictures for proof, no artistic quality claimed whatsoever...

Inland Silverside. This picture shows the swim bladder best. I have others (almost as good as this one) that show the nearly unmistakable silverside body shape much better.

DSCN0438.JPG

Fat Sleepers! I was really taken with these bad boys and girls. So would love to have the resources for a big ol' tank for one.

DSCN0439.JPG

DSCN0441.JPG

Sheepsheads, and Sailfins, and yes the water really was that brown this time! (Usually dark, but not like this!)

DSCN0445.JPG

DSCN0446.JPG

DSCN0447.JPG

Mitchellville "primitive" Beach turned up two new lifers for me, too. Tons of Striped Killifish (Fundulus majalis), including some really nice, big sized mamas my daughter Kerry dipnetted. The coolest find, maybe of the whole trip, was a small (~ 3/4 inch) Blackcheek Tonguefish (Symphurus plagiusa). I sooo wish I had pictures for proof, because I worked hard on that last id and am pretty darn certain of it. Alas, no photo evidence. But after working through every page and description of flatfish in Kells and Carpenter's "A Field Guide to Coastal Fishes from Maine to Texas" and working over the internet, I'm sure of it. I'll borrow one of Mr. Tessler's gallery photos to illustrate. http://gallery.nanfa...ageViewsIndex=1It was very small, but it was identical to this fish.

Fwiw, if you need/want a good east coast coastal guide, I'd recommend Kells and Carpenter's book...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#2 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:06 AM

Really cool stuff! It's been quite a while since I've gotten to play in some salt and you're definitely making me miss it!

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#3 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:04 AM

Those are some cool fish Matt. Fat sleeper is a species that I haven't seen yet but would really like to.

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:16 AM

Very cool Matt.  I'm heading to Fort Walton FL later this year.  I can't decide to take collecting gear or not.  You're leaning towards taking it.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 August 2015 - 10:20 AM

Take it you fool! Lots of interesting critters to see - none of which you will know :-)

#6 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 13 August 2015 - 11:14 AM

Take it you fool! Lots of interesting critters to see - none of which you will know :-)

Space is the issue.  2 kids, 2 adults going from KY to FL.  Room for nets and buckets is hard to come by.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:12 PM

We just bought a yakima roof rack for our naked roof vehicle. No screws. No penetrating the roof. Was about 300 bucks. Our vehicle was one of the more expensive ones to outfit, as only Yakima made one. Many vehicles can use cheaper name brands.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#8 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 13 August 2015 - 03:30 PM

Josh, at least one of your kids should be young enough to fit in a bucket, right? You've got plenty of space, you just have to use it wisely.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#9 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

Nets don't take up any space.  Get some breather bags and ship your fish home before you head back.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#10 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:41 PM

Take it! Take it! Take it!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 August 2015 - 08:24 PM

"Uh Misty, rest area coming up, Pull the boy out of the bucket, feed him and change the diaper. Don't forget to turn the aerator back on, I'm gonna go get a Pepsi."

The way there should be no problem, the way back may be a different story. Pretty sure your son can't use a snorkel yet, so he won't go well in the buckets or coolers. Going to have to follow the advice of Mike and mail fish home if you want to keep some, or just be happy net and release or snorkeling.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 August 2015 - 04:33 PM

Any day you catch a sleeper is a great day.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users