Photo

Alabama Trip

13 replies to this topic

#1 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:12 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm planning a trip to Mobile AL sometime in mid-October and have been eagerly researching cool fish I might be able to check out on my trip. I was specifically hoping to do some poking around in the Coosa/Tallapoosa drainages on my way down and/or back, along with some collecting around the Mobile/FL panhandle while down there. However, while researching seine lengths and license fees and the like, I came across these regulations:

"TAKING MINNOWS AND SHAD FOR BAIT

It is legal for licensed anglers to take minnows, shad, and certain suckers from certain public waters by the use of a cast net, minnow jug, minnow basket, not to exceed 24 inches in length, 12 inches in ­diameter, with funnel entrance not more than one inch in diameter, dip net or minnow seine, the length of which shall not exceed 25 feet and the width or depth of which shall not exceed 4 feet for the purpose of taking shad or minnows for the exclusive use as fish bait. No seines may be used in un-impounded tributary streams and creeks. All game fish and all commercial or nongame fish taken by nets or seines must be immediately returned to the water from whence they came with the least possible injury. Dip nets may be used to land legally caught fish."

No seines in unimpounded tributary streams and creeks? If I'm correct in interpreting this, it sounds as though it's illegal to use a seine in flowing water of any kind in AL. Does anyone have any additional information about this? Is this a new rule? I'd always been under the impression that AL was pretty liberal and easy, regulation-wise. Perhaps this is a recent change that none of us noticed?

I also cannot seem to find any information about bag limits for nongame fish, nor any information regarding what constitutes "minnows, shad, and certain suckers."

I probably need to contact their agency directly with my questions, but I figured I'd post this in case anyone else had any insight (or might be interested in meeting up if indeed it's legal to do some seining in AL!)

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

My Personal Facebook (mostly fish related, if you'd like to add me)

#2 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 01 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

Where did you find this?  I was searching their webpage and couldn't find the regs.  Maybe Bruce Stallsmith will chime in here, he's in Alabama, right?

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#3 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

Yeah. This was basically the only relevent regulation I could find and it was in the electronic version of the regulation digest and in the general fishing regs. Maybe there is more and their site is just difficult to navigate.

Derek Wheaton

On a mountain overlooking the North Fork Roanoke River on one side, the New River Valley on the other, and a few minutes away from the James River watershed...the good life...

Enchanting Ectotherms

#4 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 02 September 2015 - 10:28 AM

Alabama is very loose on collecting and keeping non-game freshwater fish. If you have a valid fishing license no one will give you any grief as long as you don't have obvious gamefish in your possession like large bass or sunfish. For unlisted darters and shiners, most of the DCNR game officers couldn't even tell you what they are. Phil Kukulski has funny stories about being approached by game officers in AL simply because he and company all had Michigan or Ohio tags on their cars in remote areas. When officers found they were just netting funny fish, they left, their concern was poaching of deer by unlicensed out-of-state people out of season. But definitely buy at least a short-term license. The seine regulations are also loose, a length of 20 feet or less is OK. Note that if you plan on saltwater fishing or collecting that also requires a license in this state, and the chances of enforcement are significantly higher.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

Thanks Bruce!

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#6 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:11 AM

Yes, thanks!

Derek Wheaton

Enchanting Ectotherms

#7 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

12115891_10100319269932551_7698475227957

These are the areas I'm hoping to hit, though I'll probably also be meeting up with Michael Sandel to do some collecting north of Mobile.

If any of you are generous enough to share any good collecting spots you may have in these areas, I'm be in your debt. I've never done any collecting in Alabama before, so I'm pretty much expecting that no matter where I end up, I'll see some new/cool fish. Any guidance would certainly be appreciated.

Also if anyone is in the area and would be interested in meeting up, I'd love to have some company.

Thanks!

Derek Wheaton

Enchanting Ectotherms

#8 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:52 AM

Send me an email and I can give you some interesting spots in the Tallapoosa drainage, not just for Fundulus bifax which of course you should see but for other species as well.

Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#9 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:21 AM

Yeah...

If he stays in the pink he will surely miss other colors.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#10 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 October 2015 - 09:24 AM

By the way Casper, I will probably be passing through your area on the 12th. Not sure if you'd be around, but if the water is clear I may make an inaugural trip to the snorkel hole. Would love to have a snorkel buddy!

Derek Wheaton

Enchanting Ectotherms

#11 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 October 2015 - 09:20 AM

Just wanted to bump this thread. My current plan is to leave Blacksburg early tomorrow morning with the intention of crashing in Auburn AL tomorrow night. Initially that plan included a snorkeling break at either Little River Falls (once I found Casper's awesome trip report) or the Snorkel Hole on the Conasauga. However, upon checking USGS flow data, it looks like the Conasauga is blown out, and the Little River is WAY WAY up also. Anyone have any suggestions for ways to break up the drive? Any good spots I should check out between the NE corner of AL and Auburn?

Also, I'm still seeking advice for places to go around Talladega/Auburn, Dothan and Mobile, if anyone is willing. Is there anyone in the area that may want to meet up?

Thanks!

Derek Wheaton

Enchanting Ectotherms

#12 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 11 October 2015 - 10:59 AM

"Little River Falls (once I found Casper's awesome trip report)"

Which Little River is this?

One flows out of the Smokey Mountains, the other flows into Weiss Lake in Bama.  Both wonderful sites i have written of.

The Conasauga might be nice tomorrow at Noon.  Check this gauge out...

http://waterdata.usg...ite_no=02384500

Though high now it is dropping and i suspect will be fine.  The gauge is located 12 miles downstream, and 12 hours late for the snorkel hole.  A 400 discharge is our "line" for snorkeling in safety at the hole but i think it will be 400 or less in 24 hours.

Another option is to visit me, the cement pond and South Chick for a break.  I am 2 miles from the i-75 and i-24 split at the GA / TN line.  Maybe lunch too.  

I am thinking of another option but much depends on your route.  You can call me today on my mobile.  PMed.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#13 Kanus

Kanus
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:44 AM

Casper, the Little River I'm speaking of is the one that flows into Weiss Lake. It is RIGHT on my route to Auburn (plus I was going to poke around Collinsville for rainbow shiners and hopefully not get run off by angry locals!) and your trip report made it really appealing.

Good to know that the snorkel hole might be doable though! I appreciate your expert opinion!

If you are available I'd be happy to meet up for lunch or something! I'll give you a call today and/or tomorrow to figure out the plan. Thanks!

Derek Wheaton

Enchanting Ectotherms

#14 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 11 October 2015 - 01:04 PM

Best call me today, i will be making plans tonight for tomorrow and that will likely be work.

PM sent.

Collinsville is an easy stop.  I have snorkeled it often, best is by the beauty shop, very shallow but kids have built a dam for splashing and wading.  No trouble with locals when you explain your yearnings.  Beauty shops are closed on Mondays as the Ladies have already been shopping, gone to church and attended all the weekend social events.  Park in their lot and walk across the rough wooden bridge.

The Little River Canyon picnic site is a bit of an up and over detour but MAY be fine regarding water levels.  The river drains the Lookout Mountain plateau, making it one of the longest flowing plateau rivers, kinda nifty in that regards.  Be sure and view Desota Falls, very handsome though he will not be there.  That is using the Fort Payne route over the mountain and down to the canyon grounds.  From there i think you can take a route to Centre, Alabama which offers something special kinda somewhere closer to near Twixt n' Tween.

BBQ made their name.  Alabamian's splelt their town English style. Locally not blue blood royalty but some with blue noses, though doubtful now.

Lottsa color come Spring in Alabama.  Famous rainbow gathering site along the church of the Little Shultz.

Casper Cox

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users