Do you guys collect and keep live food for your fish?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:43 PM

A bunch of orange throat darters I collected are not eating. Its been about a week or two now. I tried Freeze Dried bloodworms, tubifex worms(freeze dried then soaked) and flakes. They spit it back out and eat it and then spit it back out...doing this a few times and eventually abandoning the food. I was thinking of getting some freeze dried bloodworms(do you guys think it will make a difference as compared to freeze dried ones?)
But yesterday I was out fishing and collected some hornwort, and upon shaking them in a bucket I dislodged a lot of tiny baby scuds, planarias about 1 to 1.5 cm long, leeches, dragon and damselfly larvaes, etc. Are these safe to feed to my darters? Or is there a risk of parasites etc?

#2 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 05:10 PM

While you can feed them small freshwater inverts it would be much more practical for you to try frozen. Most fish stores carry frozen bloodoworms, krill, mysis, brine shrimp etc. and I have never had a problem geting any fish darter or otherwise to take them.
You could also try to raise your own. I have only ever grown daphnia but it was extreamly easy. Just provide them with a steady supply of clean green water.

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 06:17 PM

This is very bad - they are surely going to die soon.

#4 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 07:44 PM

Try frozen and freeze-dried bloodworms, brine shrimp (frozen) and even boiled egg slivers (not the yolk).

I have to agree that it's not good that they haven't eaten yet. Almost every darter I collect starts eating within a few minutes to a day or two. Usually picky darters don't last very long at all.

#5 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 April 2007 - 10:04 PM

Try collecting your own mosquito larvae.. they're easy to breed (set a 5-gallon bucket outside) and they'll get eaten quickly.

#6 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:08 AM

Frozen Brine Shrimp. They will eat with wild abandon,

#7 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2007 - 07:24 AM

Just spent some time at the local hatchery (last Friday, Saturday and this Tuesday) collecting fairy shrimp before they poison the ponds.

#8 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 12:49 PM

I bought some frozen bloodworms last night and fed some to them...they had a feast! This morning at 6am I turned on the lights and most of the orangethroats were fluttering at the surface as they saw me, so I tried some freezedried bloodworms and this time they ate them. So I guess I earned their trust. LOL

#9 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 06:10 PM

Congratulations!

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2007 - 10:23 PM

I think you'll find that frozen foods are usually preferred over freezedried by fish when they are given the choice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users