Photo

Collecting Near Lexington, KY

11 replies to this topic

#1 Draros

Draros
  • NANFA Guest
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:10 AM

I recently moved to Lexington, KY area. I haven't had a chance to get out yet, and I was hoping some people from the area could tell me a few good spots/want to get out. 

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 06 October 2015 - 12:53 PM

Josh, will reply soon enough. In the meantime, you have moved to a great location. You might start out by mentioning what species or types of fish you are interested in.That will give those with knowledge of the streams and rivers in the state the opportunity to  point you in the right direction. "A few good spots" is a little vague.

So what interests you?

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 06 October 2015 - 01:08 PM

Draros,

Welcome to Kentucky (or central KY, if you're from KY).  I live outside of Lexington in Richmond, but my office is in Lexington and I travel all over.  I'll start out with a few things.  Since you haven't given any other information about your knowledge and experience of native fish, I'll say the same things I say to anyone in any area.

1.  Stay legal and ethical.  A KY fishing license will allow you to keep non-game fish and game fish via hook/line.  Just because it's legal to keep a certain fish, doesn't always make it ethical.  Some fish are special concern status or declining in the state, but there may not be a legal consequence to keep them.  That doesn't make it right to keep.

2.  Know your fish!  If you don't have one, get a Peterson's Field Guide and do your research before going out collecting.  You can research the fish you may encounter HERE and HERE.  Once you know what fish you may see, you can research those so you know what you are catching.  If you do this, you'll be less likely to accidentally break the law or keep a fish you shouldn't.

3.  I'd be happy to give you some locations depending on what exactly you are looking for.  I would also be happy to take you to some of my favorite locations....I don't give out all my spots to people I don't know (no offense) and sometimes to people I do know (like Matt DLV, :) ).  So let me know what you are looking for, and are you in Lexington city, or one of the surrounding areas?

Also, know your fish. :)

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 06 October 2015 - 11:41 PM

I suspect Draros is no newbie.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#5 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 07 October 2015 - 06:10 AM

I suspect Draros is no newbie.

I suspect that too, but have nothing to go by.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#6 Draros

Draros
  • NANFA Guest
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:37 PM

I'm interested in every species. I'm a pretty big generalist I just like diversity. I'm not interested in taking anything home currently. 

To fill you in a bit about my experience: I took a formal ichthyology class and did a survey on a tributary of the Blue River. I keyed out a few thousand fish. I'm a bit rusty but my live identification skills are still okay. I'm really just not familiar with a lot of the shiners and darters of the area. Kentucky has a lot higher diversity of fish than Indiana. 

I live in Lexington. I'm not picky where I go. I'd just appreciate some company, my seine is rather large, and someone with a bit better knowledge base of fish in the area than myself. 

Sorry for the late reply I got caught up in a string of projects. Got to love graduate school. 

#7 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 13 October 2015 - 06:53 PM

Oh golly. You are in for a treat. Get Josh Blaylock to show you the Green, Middle Fork Kentucky, and the Red river.

#8 Draros

Draros
  • NANFA Guest
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 14 October 2015 - 02:57 PM

I've heard wonderful stories about the Green River. I'd love to get out and see it. I'm particularly interested in seeing a bottlebrush crayfish. 

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 14 October 2015 - 06:58 PM

Me too!

#10 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:10 AM

I'm interested in every species. I'm a pretty big generalist I just like diversity. I'm not interested in taking anything home currently. 

To fill you in a bit about my experience: I took a formal ichthyology class and did a survey on a tributary of the Blue River. I keyed out a few thousand fish. I'm a bit rusty but my live identification skills are still okay. I'm really just not familiar with a lot of the shiners and darters of the area. Kentucky has a lot higher diversity of fish than Indiana. 

I live in Lexington. I'm not picky where I go. I'd just appreciate some company, my seine is rather large, and someone with a bit better knowledge base of fish in the area than myself. 

Sorry for the late reply I got caught up in a string of projects. Got to love graduate school. 

There isn't a ton of diversity in Lexington itself, but once you get to those other drainages that Matt said, there are a lot of awesome fish.  The Green is amazing, but my particular favorite is the middle Cumberland area around Somerset.  Red River Gorge is almost Mind Blowing, not necessarily for the fish diversity, but because of the Gorge itself.  I'd love to get together with you and do some seining.  I really need to go out soon because I had a tank failure and lost nearly all my fish.  I'd like to go to Red River or the Cumberland, before it gets to cold, if you'd like to go.  If you want to poke around in Lexington try this spot:

37.952680, -84.500113

Easy access at Veteran's Park and walk down to the creek.  There should be plenty of nice Orangethroat Darters there.  What is in Lexington, you should find there.

As for the bottlebrush, I once caught an easy 14+ incher...scared me when I pulled up my dipnet!

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#11 Draros

Draros
  • NANFA Guest
  • Lexington, KY

Posted 17 October 2015 - 01:34 PM

I would love to get out and go collecting. My free Wednesday afternoons, and weekend days. Just let me know what day works for you. 

#12 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 02 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

I may go to the Rockcastle River this Saturday (11-7).  I'm not going to have a lot of time, but a few hours if you'd like to go.  It's supposed to rain Friday, so I'm going to wait and see how much we get before deciding 100%.

Here's a list of potential species:

http://www.nanfa.org...ml?huc=05130102

NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users