Photo

Looking for rainbow shiners

32 replies to this topic

#1 Speaker73

Speaker73
  • NANFA Guest
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:21 PM

So I was wondering if anyone had some leads on rainbow shiners (Notropis chrosomus). I have been looking for them but can't seem to find a source for them. I know that Sachs Aquaculture sells them but they have been out of stock for a while and strangely haven't responded to my inquiries about them. 

I am in the process of setting up a 60 gallon outdoor tank and wanted to see if I could find a few to stock my tank. I am in located in Southern California (Los Angeles).

#2 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:31 PM

Aren't we all? Hahaha! If you find a lead, I would certainly be interested as well!

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#3 Mrfipp

Mrfipp
  • NANFA Guest
  • Runaway Bay, Texas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:25 AM

Ditto, I'd take some.

I've seen postings for them on ebay before, maybe on aquabid, too. Not sure about that approach though. Feels sketchy for some reason. Like I may find postings for unicorns and such, too.
There's something fishy about this place...

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

Almost makes me feel bad for all y'all that don't live in the southeast.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Mrfipp

Mrfipp
  • NANFA Guest
  • Runaway Bay, Texas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

Almost makes me feel bad for all y'all that don't live in the southeast.

It's not that bad really... Just an excuse for a road trip and a fish expedition.

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

It's entirely possible that I might know a place with public access where we could get you a reasonable supply were you to show up in North Georgia.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Mrfipp

Mrfipp
  • NANFA Guest
  • Runaway Bay, Texas

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

I made a weekend trip to Atlanta earlier this year... Heading to Georgia is certainly a possibility next year. I'll be sure to fish for specifics about it from you when I can make the trip!

#8 Speaker73

Speaker73
  • NANFA Guest
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:33 PM

I made a weekend trip to Atlanta earlier this year... Heading to Georgia is certainly a possibility next year. I'll be sure to fish for specifics about it from you when I can make the trip!

Don't forget to send some to your neighbors out West now! lol. Happy hunting!

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 19 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

I am truly surprised that they aren't more readily available. I have been told that they are not too difficult to spawn.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#10 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

Over the past couple years there have been many accounts of people breeding rainbow shiners on this forum.  Where did they all go?  I kept a colony for 3 or 4 generations between 2000 and 2010 - original stock from Centreville AL.  In GA I saw some in a tributary of Amicalola Creek east of Big Canoe, 20+ yrs ago.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#11 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 November 2015 - 02:55 PM

FWIW, they do breed like crazy.  I still have some CB adults, that have since spawned numerous times as well.  Currently, I do not have the capacity to collect or rear eggs.  But there are many others on here who have also inquired about and were looking for Rainbows.  I'll be the one to say it..... please use the search bar and see what sources folks have listed in other threads.    

Nick L.

#12 ttman

ttman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

I want some as well.

#13 Joshaeus

Joshaeus
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 December 2015 - 04:35 PM

Imperial tropicals :) Sadly, they appear to be out of stock right now. Only native fish they carry, I believe.

#14 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 27 December 2015 - 06:08 PM

I am working on a bulk order. For anyone interested in getting some, please shoot me a PM.
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#15 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 29 December 2015 - 12:25 AM

The Centreville rainbows don't seem to be as pretty as some of the others I've seen.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#16 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

No, you gotta go to the Fort Payne area for the really good ones. Find the K-Mart and head south..... (big box stores are all the same, thanks Casper)
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#17 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 29 December 2015 - 07:36 PM

K-Mart Parking Lot.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#18 Speaker73

Speaker73
  • NANFA Guest
  • Los Angeles, CA

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

Imperial tropicals :) Sadly, they appear to be out of stock right now. Only native fish they carry, I believe.

Well they appeared to be out of stock but I emailed them and they had a few to send me. Pretty steep though. $7/each. shipping was included but wow!

Although we are a bit spoiled with marine and tropical fish here in Southern California, there is a dearth of attractive native species and severe penalties for collecting them. 

#19 Leo1234

Leo1234
  • NANFA Member
  • san clemente, california

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:46 AM

what about aquariumfish.net? they are from southern california and say they have some on their website. here is the link: http://aquariumfish....tegory=11326170

#20 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:30 PM

Actually while driving past Ft. Payne the other day i believe the K-Mart is no longer signed.  Closed or something different now.  I think there are 2 Ft. Payne exits, not sure which it is, i always have to look.  The former K-Mart is to the west though.  The site was quite unique and pretty in an urban sense.  At one time while down in the creek you were encapsulated by cooling, sheltering, lush over growth and felt quite detached from the parking lot activity above.  Then several years ago government workers descended onto the creek banks and cut all the shading growth away.  Unsightly now and driving water temperatures up.  Another common fish within those waters are Venusta, the Blacktail Shiner, a favorite of mine and if you ever see big spawning males you will agree.  A very elegant, powerful Shiner, somewhat pearlescent and fins tipped in white.  Also hoards of Stonerollers, of which the Rainbows spawn over their ditch pits.  And Southern Studfish can be caught if you are witty quick.  That whole region is pretty fun to explore with all the springs emitting from the base of the plateaus above.

Rainbow Shiners are a very common species in these spring fed creeks in just about all of this wide region, much of GA and AL.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users