Backpacking and Fish Collecting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

Has anyone here done any collecting trips while backpacking? I plan to do a lot of backpack collecting trips this summer and am curious as to how people have addressed fish transportation and lugging around seines and such.
3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#2 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

Irate is probably the person to talk too. I think it is doable as long as you follow a waterway enough to do changes. Bags and a can or two of O2 for altitude sickness to use in your bags.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

The biggest thing will be either; 1. carrying a bucket/cooler, which will suck while hiking or 2. keeping a small container cool while in your backpack.

I would think something simple like a perfect dipnet would be better than hiking with a seine.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

I think I would probably go the bag route, transferring the fish to a mesh bait holder every time I am hanging out near the water. As for a net, I think I could use my hiking partner and I's walking sticks as brails for a seine, but I'll have to figure out how big of a seine I want to carry around folded up. 

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#5 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

I've done this.  Used breather bags in a separate bag carried in my backpack wrapped in news paper, also put all in a plastic bag to keep dry.  Depending on targets if usable would just take my perfect dip net. if needed a seine could tie a small one rolled up on your pack.  If warm weather get a small soft cooler you could put in your pack or tie to the pack.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#6 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:24 PM

Only going to work on durable fish who aren't easily stressed. I can think of several minnows that would probably die of pure stress from being carted around like that. More durable fish and more 'chill' fish like catfish would probably be alright. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users