Photo

Snail survival

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

Yesterday I was picking up after my dogs and found a large snail shell in the middle of my yard, it was one of two big snails I had in a vat last summer but they crawled out and vanished. I figured they had just died, but to my surprise, after several frosts and even 21 degree nights the snail was still alive and is now chomping happily on some of my aquarium plants, is this odd or par for the course? 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

That is odd, especially if it is an aquatic, tropical species.  Do you know what it is?  Something local?

Malaysian trumpet snails are pretty indestructible but that isn't the case here.

Nick L.

#3 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 27 January 2016 - 02:52 PM

Could it be an amphibious species? I assume there are amphibious snails. 

Is it possible that it's actually a land species that can survive submerged for a time but escaped because it didn't want to be in the water? 

#4 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

Supposed to be one of those huge snails that look like mystery snails but eat everything, aquatic goats I've heard them called... 

Michael

#5 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

An Apple snail?...which is tropical and shouldn't have survived freezing.

How big is it and where did you acquire it?
Nick L.

#6 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:43 PM

Probably Bellamya chinensis... nasty invasives, and virtually indestructible. Livebearers, amazingly.

#7 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

An Apple snail?...which is tropical and shouldn't have survived freezing.

How big is it and where did you acquire it?

The snail is bigger than a golf ball but not quite as big as a baseball, I got it from a hobbyist from Lake Waccamaw... 

Probably Bellamya chinensis... nasty invasives, and virtually indestructible. Livebearers, amazingly.

I googled it, I can't tell if it is an apple snail or a B. chinensis.

I was hoping for babies but I guess i need two to tango. I do have one colombian ramshorn snail that i found in an old pond, one of our members sent me a bunch of eggs, I thought none survived but one did.

I also have something laying what appear to be sterile eggs on the glass, weeks pass but nothing hatches out, the eggs remind me of freshwater limpets but bigger and they never move...  

Michael

#8 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:46 PM

The critter laying eggs is probably a nerite snail. They only breed successfully in brackish water.

Edited by Betta132, 27 January 2016 - 11:47 PM.

#9 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:23 AM

The critter laying eggs is probably a nerite snail. They only breed successfully in brackish water.

I think you nailed it! Some gave me some several months ago! 

Michael

#10 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 28 January 2016 - 10:38 AM

Physa spp. (Pond Snails) and Heliosoma spp. (Rams Horn Snails) are a major pain in my butt.  I have tried a range of approaches to kill them yet only prolonged desiccation of pond bottom seems to work.  Having a pond drained over winter yet with mud that freezes solid down at least 6 inches does not kill them.  This problem I figured out years ago.  In later years when monitoring swamp bottoms supporting mole salamanders and spring peepers I found those waters froze solid and into the mud as well. It is those habitats the snails I am concerned with naturally occur.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 28 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

This article mentions that mystery snails are great escape artists.

http://www.aquariumc.../mystery-snail/

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

This article mentions that mystery snails are great escape artists.

http://www.aquariumc.../mystery-snail/

I have seen them crawl out as well, but how did this tropical snail survive 21 degree nights and at least 8 months on land... He is way bigger than any mystery snail i've ever seen... 

Michael

#13 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:29 PM

There are many ponds and lakes here in Ohio that have mystery snails. Golf ball size easily. If you are not 100% certain of what they are, are you certain they are not mystery snails.

#14 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:37 PM

Matt -- the "mystery snail" name is applied to several kinds of unrelated snails.  The usual pet-shop mystery snails (Pomacea bridgesi and related species) are in the apple snail family Ampullariidae, and are egg layers.  The Japanese and Chinese mystery snails (genus Bellamya or Cipangopaludina, sold as trap-door snails for ponds and aquariums, and widely escaped all over N. Amer) are live-bearing snails in the family Viviparidae.  Similar in shape to Ampullariidae, but quite different in biology.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#15 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 28 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

Those would be what we have, and they are quite large. Cold temps would not hurt them much, so it seems likely to assume that is was Michael has? The ones I find are livebearers. Cooked some up when I was a kid, and while cleaning them found quite a few almost marble sized young.

#16 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 28 January 2016 - 08:42 PM

Those would be what we have, and they are quite large. Cold temps would not hurt them much, so it seems likely to assume that is was Michael has? The ones I find are livebearers. Cooked some up when I was a kid, and while cleaning them found quite a few almost marble sized young.

I wonder if they store sperm? Be cool to have babies, I was under the impression they were the giant apple snails lovingly referred to as goats with shells by someone on this list... I wanted them to see if feeding them heavy would cause the water in my daphnia vat to stay green. I am rather fond of snails, the MTS are cool but I like the nerites and columbian ramshorns as well... Nerites would be cool if freshwater hermit crabs were ever introduced into the hobby... Too bad we don't have big freshwater limpets... 

Michael

#17 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:27 PM

The livebearing trapdoor /mystery snails (Bellamya japonica and B. chinensis) eat algae, dead leaves, dead fish, and also filter-feed on suspended particles.  They dont usually eat live growing plants, which is why people like them for planted ponds.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#18 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:02 PM

The livebearing trapdoor /mystery snails (Bellamya japonica and B. chinensis) eat algae, dead leaves, dead fish, and also filter-feed on suspended particles.  They dont usually eat live growing plants, which is why people like them for planted ponds.

I think I have a "goat with a shell" 

Michael

#19 gzeiger

gzeiger
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:28 PM

Bellamya chinensis can store sperm. Not sure of the others.

#20 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:05 PM

I think I have a "goat with a shell" 

Then maybe its a true apple snail - thay are voracious plant eaters. 

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users