NANFA Embroidered Patch?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 12 February 2016 - 06:43 PM

Hello all, I am getting a new backpack to hold my camera gear that I plan to take with me on all of my outings and would like to represent NANFA on it. I know we have bumper stickers, but has anyone created a sew-on embroidered patch? If not, is that something others would be interested in so we could put in a bulk order?

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

I like the idea... and I went looking on line... and found this...

http://www.mutinysho...go-patches.html

what do you think?  Looks like a no minimum thing... I may buy a few just to see what they are like.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 harryknaub

harryknaub
  • NANFA Member

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Might be worth a try.

between the Waccamaw and the ocean

#4 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 14 February 2016 - 07:59 AM

Interesting. Bet they don't get too many fish patch requests. It would be cool to see what we could come up with.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#5 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:19 AM

I'd definitely take one. Hate brand labels on things, and especially the Orvis label on my waders. NANFA would be a perfect replacement.

Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#6 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Now that is a great idea!  I have ordered a few of the PVC ones, and will let y'all know what they look like when I get 'em.

I love the idea of NANFA waders!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#7 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 14 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

I'd like to have I've too. I look forward to seeing how they look

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#8 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:30 PM

These finally arrived today, and I think they look pretty good.

Attached File  patches (1).JPG   216.56KB   3 downloads

The black behind them in the above picture is the "soft side" of the velcro. You could sew this onto a shirt, even cut to fit before hand.  This would make it so that you could remove the patch while washing the shirt. On the other hand, I discovered that they also stick to the velcro that is on my Columbia fishing shirts.

Attached File  patches (2).JPG   176.77KB   2 downloads

#9 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

Because I love the look of our group decal, I would buy one.

With that said, a couple additional thoughts.

It's clear that the vinyl/pvc that these patches are made of can include a lot more detail than a typical, embroidered patch.  This is a plus.

I personally like the look of a stitched patch--hence some peoples interest in collecting patches.  I thought I read that they can leave the Velcro off so that they can be permanently attached (stitched) to your clothes, backpacks, etc. just like embroidered patches. 

I'd love to have one in-hand, and see how they hold up (color fading, durability) after a long field season.   Any additional thoughts, Michael?  

Nick L.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:49 AM

i'll have to look again when I get home to be sure, but I do not think that you could "sew through" this material... seems pretty thick.  I agree that stitching looks good, and this is certainyl a compromise to taht look, but has some of its own advantages.

I am thinking about how I could attach some of the velcro to my wader straps to kind of have the NANFA logo on my chest even outside of the waders.  I have an event coming up on March 5 and if I can get the velcro on my waders, that might be my first field test.

#11 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

Looks like they reproduced / printed the NANFA logo with quality.  I see no way the logo could be satisfyingly embroidered / stitched as opposed to printing.  Too much intricate detail in the design, especially the Rainbow Darter.  When i had the hats embroidered i just used the NANFA lettering in the rounded rectangle shape.  Dennis, who will be doing the New Hampshire shirts, embroidered the hats for us back before the Nevada convention.  They had a back flap like the French Foreign Legion wears, great for the sunburn desert and biting insects swamps.

I have a variety of 3M Velcro here at the shop i use for signs and displays.  Some of it has a very aggressive adhesive on it which i think would adhere well to wader fabric... Michael if you wanna try it.  I could mail you some of the 2" squares, soft side.  I think i understand that the back of the patches are covered with the Velcro teeth, the rough side.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#12 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:08 PM

From here those look mighty splendiferous !

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#13 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:13 PM

I definitely want one of those things!
Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

I'm going to try mine out for a few weeks and then ift there is still interest I can buy a larger quantity and we could sell them at the convention and/or the web site if y'all want?

#15 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 26 February 2016 - 08:24 AM

I think that would probably be a good idea as they sell them cheaper the more you buy.  I'd still buy a few additional patches.  I often give my stickers away and would do the same with the patches---hoping to get the organization more attention with some of my friends that aren't as interested in fish as we all are.

Nick L.

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 February 2016 - 09:04 PM

So I cut out a circle (which in the photo looks suspiciously like something W.E. Coyote would have bought at ACME to make the RR fall through the bridge) and my lovely wife sewed it onto an off brand name nylon fishing shirt.

Attached File  shirt velcro.JPG   47.42KB   3 downloads

Stuck the patch on and 'bam', we are official.

Attached File  shirt patch.jpg   53.62KB   3 downloads

Then we took fabric glue and 'glommed' it onto the named brand patch on my waders.

Attached File  wader glue.JPG   36KB   3 downloads

Waited 10 minutes per the instructions and added the velcro I had cut to match the patch 

Attached File  wader velcro.JPG   40.95KB   3 downloads

Waited a little while for all to dry and added the patch

Attached File  waders NANFA.JPG   41.9KB   3 downloads

NANFA Waders!

I have an opportunity to try both out at the Georgia Environmental Education Alliance annual conference next weekend where we will be teaching teachers about native fishes and how they can use them in their lessons.  I'll report on how they hold up.

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 March 2016 - 08:07 PM

I discovered another benefit to these patches.  Since they are not cloth they do not get dirty.  I certainly got dirt on one, but I simply tore it off the velcro backing and took it in the house and rinsed it under the sink (being careful to not let the dried dirt 'scratch' the surface).  And it is good as new.

Attached File  patch dirty clean.jpg   81.06KB   1 downloads

I think that I can heartily recommend these and as such, I am thinking about doing a group buy thing if there are a bunch of people that would like these.  I am thinking that I will buy them next month and get them before the convention.  If you are going to the convention I can deliver them at that time.  After that, I might give them to Casper and let him manage them like any other item in the NANFA store.

These will likely be about $10 so there is a little profit for NANFA.  Who's interested?

#18 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 21 March 2016 - 06:45 PM

I'd like a couple

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#19 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 21 March 2016 - 08:17 PM

Will Jeri sew a patch on my overalls?

Good job on the promotional activities Michael!

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#20 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 22 March 2016 - 06:32 AM

I'd want 2 for sure

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users