Photo

Darters

30 replies to this topic

#21 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

So here's the thing.  I did a quick search of the fish in your area.  Your best best would be a small school of Northern Red-Belly Dace.  The other 'aquarium' type species you have, Spotfin Shiner, Longnose Dace, Emerald Shiner, Stoneroller; would likely not be suitable for a 10gal, unless you have a larger tank for when they grow.  You could maybe do some Bigmouth Shiners, but I'm not familiar with that species.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#22 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 19 February 2016 - 11:57 AM

How many dace and would Iowa or Johnny be better? How would I feed both species if the darters are very fast and eat all the food?

#23 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 19 February 2016 - 12:49 PM

I would do 5-6 Dace and 5-6 Darters.  

Mix up frozen foods; bloodworms, brine shrimp,etc... and flakes.  Feed them with a Turkey baster.  Your problem will be the dace eating all the food before the darters, not the other way around.  Darters won't take to the flakes too well, but the dace will.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#24 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 19 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

I meant to say dace

#25 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 19 February 2016 - 07:52 PM

Putting on my serious hat for a second (but ONLY ONE SECOND), if you want to keep mixed darters and dace in a 10, then go with 4 of each.  I believe in stocking conservatively - a carryover from a time and place where the power grid was not particularly reliable.  As for the grass shrimp - you may indulge yourself.  They don't place much of a load on the system.  They will probably get eaten anyway.

There, that should stave off the ponderous smiting fist of the forum gods for a few posts.

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#26 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 19 February 2016 - 09:25 PM

I think I will do only Johnny and maybe 2-3 iowas

#27 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:00 AM

It will have a sponge filter hidden by 2-3 rocks and some chara sp. or nitella sp. also a pice of drift wood lastly maybe 1-2 Sagittaria cristata

#28 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 20 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Like 5 Johnny and 2-3 iowas

#29 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

Trust me, I would do more Iowas and fewer Johnnys. Johnny Darters get larger, demand more food, and tend to be overall worse aquarium fish than Iowa Darters.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#30 9darlingcalvi

9darlingcalvi
  • NANFA Guest
  • Northern Minnesota

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

Okay... I will try to find iowas. Here is the current set up (dirt will be sand) and I think I will move the rock to where the wood is and take out the wood in return. I was thinking a sponge filter hidden by plants. Also do iowas need flow?

Attached Images

• image.jpeg
  • image.jpeg

#31 NotCousteau

NotCousteau
  • NANFA Guest
  • Minnesota

Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:12 PM

Fellow Minnesotan here.

Nice tank setup. Iowa darters do not need flow. They are a still water fish. Darters and natives are fun. Good luck!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users