Photo

Stocking Reservoir with Brook Silversides and Virile Crayfish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:44 PM

Today we started a multiple year experiment.  We collected 100 Brook Silversides from the Moreau River drainage and stocked them into a reservoir used as a water supply for organic ag production.  My student will be monitoring the population for the following two years to develope estimates on productivity and possibly gain a little more detailed information on their biology in such a simple and relatively large system.  I suspect we will have to augment spawning habitat for the silversides to limit impacts the abundant crayfish will have on fish recruitment.  First year will involve vetting methods of estimating population size and possibly tracking crayfish movement.  This looking to be very interesting in many ways.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

Sounds very interesting, please do keep us up to date... and I for one would like to see something like this eventually be published in AC.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

...yes, I am curious about the fragile brook silversides and will stay tuned to this

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#4 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:09 AM

For us they have been proving tough.  All survived transport very well.  We add a little salt and can keep them in buckets or coolers for days without losses.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users