Photo

Snorkelpalooza: western NC June-July 2016 with NCSU ecology students

32 replies to this topic

#1 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 12 April 2016 - 10:19 AM

I asked Ani Popp if  I could share this event with NANFA folks and she said "Please do. The more the merrier".
I can PM her email and phone # to anyone who's interested.

Sent: Monday, April 11, 2016 3:29 PM
Subject: [ncsu_sfs] Snorkelpalooza!

Hey folks,

We're starting to think about dates for this year's Snorkelpalooza! If you're thinking about participating, please fill out this doodle poll. Cost will be determined once we pick a date and know how many folks are participating. 

We will spend a weekend snorkeling, camping, and fishing in the mountains! We'll stay at Carolina Hemlocks campground and visit sites along the Toe and Cane rivers. I've attached some photos from last year's trip. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

-Ani

Anakela Popp
MS Student, NCSU
Dept of Applied Ecology

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 12 April 2016 - 12:17 PM

I'm in.  I will let them pick a date and plan to make it.  We should make a NANFA snorkel camp contribution team.  I am eager to revisit this area.  Looks like lots of neat options including electro shocking, mussels and smores.

:)

Wonderful massive bunch of photos from last year's gathering.

I selected a few of their photos as a tease...

NC-SnorkelPolooza.jpg

NC-SnorkelPolooza-Hand.jpg

NC-SnorkelPolooza-View.jpg

NC-SnorkelPolooza-PhotoTank.jpg

NC-SnorkelPolooza-Snorkel.jpg

NC-SnorkelPolooza-Mussels.jpg

NC-SnorkelPolooza-Shock.jpg

Edited by Casper, 12 April 2016 - 12:21 PM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

Looks like fun as long as they dont pick their first date... that overlaps with the Convention... and I already have my plane tickets for New Hampshire!

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#4 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 12 April 2016 - 06:40 PM

I might like to do that, something like 2014

#5 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 12 April 2016 - 07:46 PM

Sounds fun. That campsite on the South Toe is a little upstream of where we snorkeled during the NC convention. Depending on the date, I may be able to make it on my way back from the NH convention. 

#6 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 14 April 2016 - 06:33 AM

Definitely interested!Looks like it could be a lot of fun...just have to talk the fiancée into it...haha

#7 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 05 May 2016 - 01:39 PM

Another bump for the upcoming snorkelpalooza.

The exact date is yet to be determined as they are taking a poll, choosing between 5 different weekends.  The current consensus is heading towards a June 24 - 26, which is soon after the NANFA NH convention.  3 NANFA members have already participated in the poll so make your desire known.

http://doodle.com/po...ppzq3pcy5v7e57x

As Isaac noted this is a stunning site a few miles upstream of where NANFans snorkeled during the 2014 NC convention.  My plan is to spend a few extra days in the area and maybe bring my family along.

It should be a lot of fun.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#8 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 06 May 2016 - 05:21 PM

The date for Snorkelpalooza has been determined to be Friday June 24 through Sunday June 26.

Make your plans accordingly.

More details later from our organizer...

Casper Cox

#9 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:43 AM

Ani would like to know who is attending by May 27.

Please let me know and i will pass it on to Ani.

$25. will cover camping for 2 nights AND Saturday meals as well as Sunday's breakfast and lunch.  What an excellent deal.

My current thinking is to arrive Friday afternoon and possibly stay another night or two in the region.

Casper Cox

#10 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:05 PM

Just shot Ani an email.  Going to do my hardest to get out there!  Hopefully we can do some collecting too while up there...

Can't beat the cost either!  Gonna get to try out my Trailblazer as a tent....haha!

#11 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:40 PM

I and Eileen will be there, is there a place for our little camper?

#12 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 12 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

A few more folks have expressed interest to me and i will send an email to Ani later listing them by late May.  Unsure how we will actually pay and commit but i think it proper to pay in advance and certainly not show up unannounced.  She has a good bit of logistics to work through as our leader.

Confused as to why 88 was the sole dissenter for the weekend selected by all... yet plans to be present. How can this be when its not to be?

No collecting for me as i am quite content to observe and test my camera skills.

This is a beautiful region and i think our leader has excellent plans to see and do.

Casper Cox

#13 Itsnotme1988

Itsnotme1988
  • NANFA Member
  • Selma, NC

Posted 12 May 2016 - 05:20 PM

Yeah...somebody has to be that guy...

My work schedule tends to be a PITA to work with...but I'm going to do my best to still try to make it work.  Bad enough I can't do the convention....  I won't know until a bit closer to the deadline but it should work out.  

Hell...I don't even own a snorkel yet...haha!

#14 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 13 May 2016 - 02:48 PM

I might as well sign up (even though I don't know for sure that I will be able to make it). Let me know how to pay.

#15 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 13 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

Is anyone between SE MN and the site interested in carpooling? I may not be able to do my original TN trip, and this could work instead.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#16 don212

don212
  • NANFA Member

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

just remembered i made a prior committment to fish watch for my vacationing buddy

#17 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

I would love to do it. Ani is a great person (she was on my first Peru trip) as are the others from NC State. Bryn Tracy is extremely knowledgeable about NC fishes - perhaps even better than me?

My problem is that I'm over committed for June.  First the convention, then a fish passage conference in MA and a week later head back to Peru. I would have to squeeze it in between the latter two.  Ugh!

#18 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:05 AM

Register by May 27 and...

Pay with a $25 check made out to NCSU SFS, mailed to:

NCSU Student Fisheries Society
127 David Clark Labs
100 Eugene Brooks Ave
Raleigh, NC 27607

There is also a safety release form to fill out but i do not know how to link it here.  I would assume you can fill it out upon arrival.

Casper Cox

#19 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:34 AM

Unless someone in the group has a scientific collecting permit (maybe Ani does?) you CANNOT use a seine in NC-WRC-designated trout waters.  Hook-and-line only in trout waters, with a regular fishing license.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

It's a snorkelpalooza
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users