Photo

2016 Portsmouth NH NANFA Convention

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 29 May 2016 - 12:22 AM

I marked map locations here https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1XhDiatieZZjIsvjuoC-QiMGiTiI

About the locations.

Great Island Common: Marine habitat. We saw gunnel, cunner, sculpin, and lumpfish in the rocks, the sandy area had sticklebacks by vegetation clumps. Their were eel grass beds too far out to wade too. Snorkeling may make them accessible. 

Lamprey River: 

North Branch River by Langford Rd: Longnose Dace, Fallfish, Common Shiner, and Largemouth Bass were found here. Lots of Water Snakes. 

North Branch River by Epping Street: Fallfish, Golden Shiner,Creek Chubsucker, Swamp Darter, Chain Pickerel, and an unidentified lepomis.

Amoskeag the Merrimack River: My netting visit hereon a tip fpr margined madtoms I only saw a tiny sunfish. But they have been recording and showing photos of a large herring run lately. 

Temperatures air wise have warmed up to the 80's and 90's this week. (most of may they were the 60's and some 70's last week). I swam in a pond today, it felt nice.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 29 May 2016 - 12:24 AM.

#22 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

I received my NH Gazeer over the weekend.  ( Do either you or Lucas have a copy?  As i will be glad to gift my copy to you after the event. )

I am getting my notes in order today and cannot access your link.

https://www.google.c...svjuoC-QiMGiTiI

It could be any multiple of Google issues but the first statement reads "You Need Permission."

Then when i press "Request Access" it states an email will be sent to you, then me if you "approve".

?

The other day i got frustrated using Google and switched to MapQuest which worked exactly as i desired.

Are people still wearing long johns, logging caps and flannel shirts up there?   :)

I am only bringing 1 pair of sweat pants and 1 long sleeve shirt as a backup.  Considering a lined rain jacket, but packing as light as possible to bypass luggage issues.  I might wish i had that rain jacket on the boat... ?

Hum... after a few minutes i got this in my SPAM box...  ( I am becoming a nonfan of Google it seems. )

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

menasor77@gmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gmail.com by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. [173.194.205.26].

Edited by Casper, 31 May 2016 - 12:55 PM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#23 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

Yes I have a NH Gazetteer.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#24 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 31 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

I received my NH Gazeer over the weekend.  ( Do either you or Lucas have a copy?  As i will be glad to gift my copy to you after the event. )

I am getting my notes in order today and cannot access your link.

https://www.google.c...svjuoC-QiMGiTiI

It could be any multiple of Google issues but the first statement reads "You Need Permission."

Then when i press "Request Access" it states an email will be sent to you, then me if you "approve".

?

The other day i got frustrated using Google and switched to MapQuest which worked exactly as i desired.

Are people still wearing long johns, logging caps and flannel shirts up there?   :)

I am only bringing 1 pair of sweat pants and 1 long sleeve shirt as a backup.  Considering a lined rain jacket, but packing as light as possible to bypass luggage issues.  I might wish i had that rain jacket on the boat... ?

Hum... after a few minutes i got this in my SPAM box...  ( I am becoming a nonfan of Google it seems. )

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently:

menasor77@gmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure: 
Google tried to deliver your message, but it was rejected by the server for the recipient domain gmail.com by gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com. [173.194.205.26].

Josh you need to go into your google maps and allow public to see the maps or at least those who you give the link to.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#25 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:10 AM

Try the map again, hopefully it works now. I am new to making custom google maps.

My gmail giving a permanent error is odd, and the error being permanent sounds omenous. 

As for flannel shirts, logging caps, and long johns. LOL, we have no dress code here and of the three I usually just see flannel if anything. :)

As for the gazeteer I have several copies and other state atlases as well.

Edited by FirstChAoS, 01 June 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#26 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:21 AM

https://www.google.c....173382!6m1!1e1

I am a little concerned about the crowd...

Pawtuckaway State Park sounds promising.  Thanks Josh, i am enjoying exploring the map and studying options.

Bloody Brook, Brown Brook, Black Brook Park, Waterworks Land, Planet Playground, Hey NH has a Little River too, Goody Cole's Smokehouse, Tuckaway Tavern and Butchery, Oyster River Forest, Powwow Pond, Sawmill Swamp, Wash Pond, Rainbow Lake, The Defiant Lobster Company, Smuttynose Brewery, Piscassic Ice Pond... I'm all set.  More than enough to do!

Places i will not go... Loon Pond, Muddy Pond and Dead Pond.  Nor Witches Brook, nor Shorty's Mexican Roadhouse.

Edited by Casper, 01 June 2016 - 09:15 AM.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#27 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:43 AM

You're staying at Pawtuckaway? Cool, zoom in on the satellite map and see the near perfect circle of hills.

#28 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 01 June 2016 - 09:37 AM

That would be The Pawtuckaway Ring Dike.  I will want to see it for sure.  We have 3 meteor craters here in Tennessee, 4 if you count the recent Hiwassee event.

We are staying in Portsmouth, like most everyone else i presume.  Pawtuckaway State Park looks ideal and there are many other stream access sites to check out.

Thanks for getting this to us Josh.  I will be marking my Gazeer.

Casper Cox

#29 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:23 PM

I have added a few more sites.  I will likely be modifying it as time goes.  Trying to learn these Google Mapping Options / Controls.

https://www.google.c...2cTCzCCNGKoM4qo

I will be concentrating on potentially clear freshwater from Portsmouth West to Manchester and mostly to the north of 101.  The furthest site, Bear Brook State Park, should be less than an hour.

Edited by Casper, 01 June 2016 - 03:50 PM.

Casper Cox

#30 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 02 June 2016 - 07:36 PM

From recent visits to NH for other reasons, you're wise to stay north of 101, the development is less intense. On the west edge of your area of interest you might to check out the Piscataquog River in the town of New Boston facing Goffstown, along Highway 13. It's absolutely clear, fast flowing water over cobble and gravel. It's a great trout stream from what I've heard. There are many legal pullovers along the river, I can't recommend one over another.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#31 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:36 PM

Thanks Bruce.  I am wanting to stay close to minimize driving time and maximize water time, but if we get skunked we can continue westward.  I have added it to the map with your notes.

Casper Cox

#32 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 02 June 2016 - 09:32 PM

I should also say that it's not a big, deep river but similar to streams we've seen regionally. I'd guess it's colder, though... And if you get really ambitious head further west on 101 almost all the way to Keene and check out the Souhegan. But it's probably close to a 2 hour drive from Portsmouth.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#33 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:24 AM

Really getting close. Reminder regarding tide pooling, the rocks are slippery so take it slow, my studded wading shoes were a help as was the extra leg (my perfect dip net handle). The only way of fishing the pools I'm aware of is with a dip net or micro fishing which I have not tried but reportedly works well as a lot of the little tide pool fish hide in the crevices where a dip net can't reach. Bring cameras, photo tanks, water temps on the cool side so you may want waders. We can set up a few photos tank stations and give folks a chance to take photographs. I'll bring an aquarium and we can hold them so others can see them before we release them.
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#34 FirstChAoS

FirstChAoS
  • Regional Rep

Posted 04 June 2016 - 12:11 AM

Casper, that is alot of spots. Do you plan to hit them all in one day?  I hope you get photos or video to show us.

Fundulus: The pistacaquog sounds very cool. So many of the lowland rivers are slow and marshy, it's cool to hear of fast streams in the area. I was vaguely aware of the Piscataquog due to confusion of its name and the Piscataqua, but those rivers are vastly different.I also agree the Souhegan is great. I heard the upper reaches of it (as well as the cold river_) are some of the few spots in the southern part of the state with longnose sucker and in my experience the Souhegan is one of the best spots for rhinicthys.

Mike: That Bladderwrack Rockweed is real slippery stuff. If you place anything down to retreive later look for a spot on a rock or other raised surface and watch it, the tide can change quickly if you don't pay attention.

Also if going to amoskeag, the river has access points above and below the dam (the dam has a fish ladder too) do nopt make the miostake I did by due to a wall and some trees somehow missing the very wide downstream access and slide down a rocky steep slope full of trees, rocks, and poison ivy.

#35 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:14 AM

Starting to get into my annual "DANG! I wanna go!" jealous mode! Take it all in for me folks, especially any and all tide pool action, the research vessel, and nice cold water! Wish I would be there!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#36 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:39 PM

Excited, just about packed, checking my list twice.  Fine tuned the map work ( thanks Josh for initially getting it going. ), 2 days of snorkel sites, route, directions and notes have been fine tuned.  We may cruise through all the sites first and then pick 1, 2 or 3 to immerse into.  Being i have so little time in NH i want to be efficient and stay within an hour of Portsmouth.  I am excited and hopeful to find clear freshwater, but not to keen on any ocean snorkeling.  I will have plenty of ocean fish to see on the trawl boat... if i am not holding with cold sweaty palms to the railing and turning green.

Much thanks to Josh and Mike for planning a unique setting for another NANFA convention.  We are going to have fun for sure!

I just reviewed the schedule and it looks great.  Lots of good things, trips with enough relax and chatter time.

Edited by Casper, 06 June 2016 - 09:45 PM.

Casper Cox

#37 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 14 June 2016 - 10:29 AM

A BIG THANK YOU to Joshua and Mike for making this an interesting and successful convention.  We may have been few in number but we made up for it by having a great time.  And despite his great apprehension, Casper did not get seasick on the research cruise

#38 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 June 2016 - 04:16 PM

One man's ballast dumping is another man's chum! It was all good either way! Sorry I had to miss out. Can't wait to live it all vicariously through you all here on the forum!
Matt Knepley

#39 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:29 PM

This guy did not appreciate the boat ride either, and he was going to take it out on someone...

Attached File  IMG_20160611_110013.jpg   70.24KB   0 downloads

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#40 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

Ha! Is it just me, though, or does anybody else see a whole lotta supper in that picture?
Matt Knepley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users