Stocking suggestions for my 36 gallon

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 09 June 2016 - 02:27 AM

So after a long weekend of rearranging fish I now currently have a 36 gallon bow front that is in the need of some fish. It currently only has some small feeders in it to keep the tank from decycling.

Current setup .
- 36 gallon bow front.
- Aqueon 55/75 filter(400 gph) and a Aqueon 40 filter (200gph) combined 600 gph.
-Black sand (natural gravel mixed) black background
-3 java ferns, two amazon swords (not sure how they will do in sand subtrate they are new to the tank)

I have two other community stream setups and I'm looking for something different so let's here the suggestions!

Attached Files

20L River manifold
36 Gallon bow front stream
72 Gallon bow front

#2 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 June 2016 - 12:19 PM

Ok ok slow down guys! :)
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#3 Evan P

Evan P
  • NANFA Guest
  • Knoxville, TN

Posted 10 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

Orangespotted Sunfish would look neat in there. Maybe some of the slowmoving-water darters, whichever is local, a few pairs of Red Shiners, and a couple topminnows. I think that would make for a cool tank.

3,000-4,000 Gallon Pond Full of all sorts of spawning fishes! http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/13811-3560-gallon-native-fish-pond/page-3 

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:36 PM

Sandwich says "warmouth would rule!"
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:48 PM

Orangespotted Sunfish would look neat in there. Maybe some of the slowmoving-water darters, whichever is local, a few pairs of Red Shiners, and a couple topminnows. I think that would make for a cool tank.

I have all the above fish covered in my 72 gallon except the orangspotted....hmmm that's a thought.
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#6 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

Sandwich says "warmouth would rule!"

Just got rid of my sunfish that included a awesome warmouth that would eat from my hand. I was worried the 36 gallon was not big enough for him.
So you think that's enough tank?
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 June 2016 - 06:43 PM

Sandwich loves his 58 gallon show tank. He has plenty of room. How big is your guy? Sandwich is getting upwards of eight inches.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 10 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

Sandwich loves his 58 gallon show tank. He has plenty of room. How big is your guy? Sandwich is getting upwards of eight inches.

He was around 7". Grew fast!
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#9 wargreen

wargreen
  • NANFA Member

Posted 11 June 2016 - 09:56 PM

Banded Sunfish (Enneacanthus obesus) with Warpaint (Luxilus coccogenis), or Fiery Black (Cyprinella pyrrhomelas) Shiners with any of the small madtoms (Speckled, Ozark, etc).

#10 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 11 June 2016 - 10:40 PM

Banded Sunfish (Enneacanthus obesus) with Warpaint (Luxilus coccogenis), or Fiery Black 
(Cyprinella [/size]pyrrhomelas) Shiners with any of the small madtoms (Speckled, Ozark, etc).[/size]

No Banded's around here in Kentucky. I do like the madtom idea. Any certain ones that are not real shy?
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#11 cjohns

cjohns
  • NANFA Guest
  • Kentucky

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:07 AM

I like the tadpole madtoms any one have any experience?
20L River manifold
72 Gallon bow front

#12 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 12 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

Tadpoles do a lot of hiding, but will learn to come out during feedings. However, very.big.mouths. So big, inedible tank mates. Cool fish though.
Nick L.

#13 loopsnj64

loopsnj64
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:26 PM

Tadpoles do a lot of hiding, but will learn to come out during feedings. However, very.big.mouths. So big, inedible tank mates. Cool fish though.

My tadpole madtoms stick around the surface for hours on end! ...apparently its their preferred place to sleep

"All good things must come to an end, but bad things think thats rather dull, so they stick around long after their natural end has come"

-From an art book I read

#14 wargreen

wargreen
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 09:59 PM

No Banded's around here in Kentucky. I do like the madtom idea. Any certain ones that are not real shy?

I have only kept them once.....in a planted tank with driftwood, they would come out at night, but not very often during the day.

#15 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 June 2016 - 10:52 PM

I like the tadpole madtoms any one have any experience?

I have 3 tadpole and 2 margined madtoms in what is currently serving as my main "minnow tank."

The tadpole madtoms are sporadically active during daylight hours, especially if food is present. Or, I think, if the minnows get hyper-excited, indicating the possible arrival of food. But during a good portion of the day, they tend to be hiding. (I look up and two of them are trying to make me a liar, they're rummaging around right now in the near end of the tank.) They're typical size, around 2".

However, the margined madtoms are moving around almost all the time, day or night; they are not shy. Mine are both right at 4". 

Neither species seems likely to hunt down large fish, IMO, but 2 of the smaller Heterandria in the tank have disappeared. The largest Heter, probably a bit over an inch, has survived in the tank for more than a month. Either that Heter is smart, or it's a little bigger than my particular madtoms can gulp down. I have flagfish laying eggs, but I don't expect that any eggs or juveniles will escape the madtoms on patrol.

HTH

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:53 AM

However, the margined madtoms are moving around almost all the time, day or night; they are not shy. Mine are both right at 4". 

This is around the size that the carnage begins...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users