Photo

Supplementing Spawning Habitat for Brook Silversides

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

Anyone with experience setting up spawning habitat for species that spawn in vegetation?  I have several bodies of water supporting Brook Silverside where I can easily see breeding.  Our study site differs in that the vegetation occuring in other areas is grazed down by an incredibly abundant crayfish population making so I see no evidence of the Brook Silversides breeding.  I would like to setup up some sort of raft that can be floated some distance from shore so crayfish will not be at such high densities as to consume all the Brook Silverside embryos.  Materials I use for breeding Goldfish and Golden Shiners is apparently not enticing for the Brook Silversides.

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#2 Betta132

Betta132
  • NANFA Guest
  • San Gabriel drainage area

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:15 PM

People who breed killifish that like to lay eggs in plants usually use yarn mops, which are pretty much exactly what they sound like. Some of those might be worth a try. 

#3 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:15 PM

People who breed killifish that like to lay eggs in plants usually use yarn mops, which are pretty much exactly what they sound like. Some of those might be worth a try. 

Slices of "pool noodles" make good floats for so-called killie mops. Some fish like their faux-vegetation near the surface, some at midwater, and some on the bottom.

Killie mops are useful for fish collectors too. Provides good cover for skittish fish, and (unlike real plants) they don't start consuming oxygen when the lights are out.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users