Photo

NANFA Calendars

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 harryknaub

harryknaub
  • NANFA Member

Posted 26 November 2016 - 11:41 AM

I have not seen anything on the forum so maybe this is not on anyone's agenda. Has there been any discussion of a calendar for 2017? I know many members enjoyed the calendar but I don't know if they were profitable or just not worth the effort. I don't follow the BOD posts very much so I don't know if there has been discussion or not. I'm just curious as the new year approaches.

between the Waccamaw and the ocean

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 November 2016 - 02:42 PM

I talked to Josh and Matt a few days ago.  There will not be a 2017 edition.  But you should tell them if you really enjoyed the 2016 (I did) and maybe we an convince them to work on a 2018.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:50 PM

We did make a little on these, enough to warrant another one. However, we didn't make a lot and we had quite a few leftover.

Matt and I learned from the 2016. We decided to forgo one next year, but to do one for 2018. There will be, most likely, one available at the convention. However, I'll let everyone know that this will be more of a limit production than what we had last year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 26 November 2016 - 05:51 PM

Also, Matt gets all the credit. He pretty much did the whole thing.

Also our members who donated their great photos

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 27 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for the interest and kind words, guys. As Josh said, we hope to have a 2018 version available at the convention and afterwards. Likely won't be doing much with it till after the New Year. Definitely will be keeping folks posted.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#6 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 27 November 2016 - 02:05 PM

I was wondering this same thing. Was hoping for a 2017 edition...now I don't know what to hang up at my desk at work...

Anxiously awaiting 2018...
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#7 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 28 November 2016 - 10:47 PM

I have enjoyed mine this year, I look forward to another one.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#8 harryknaub

harryknaub
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 December 2016 - 11:26 PM

Yeah, I'm with Stephen. I have mine hanging by my desk at work. When things get boring I just look over at those beautiful photographs...and think about those beautiful fish...and then someone walks in and interrupts my reverie. I hate that. But for a moment,at least, I had images of fish in my head and a smile on my face.

between the Waccamaw and the ocean

#9 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:04 PM

I might be able to put something together for NANFA, if people are interested. I mean, I have plenty of photos at the ready. I'll see if I can find a print on demand service at a reasonable rate.

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 03 December 2016 - 05:42 PM

do it.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:32 PM

I agree, have at it Isaac, but do bring Josh and Matt in on it as well, between what they have learned, and what you all learn together, it will make following years easier. Plus Blaylock thrives on recognition and praise. Don't deny him that, please.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#12 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 03 December 2016 - 09:36 PM

That sounds good Isaac (if you meant a 2017 calendar), I would get at least one, two more if they could be done before the end of the year.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#13 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

I agree, have at it Isaac, but do bring Josh and Matt in on it as well, between what they have learned, and what you all learn together, it will make following years easier. Plus Blaylock thrives on recognition and praise. Don't deny him that, please.

I don't have much free time to spend on this, so I need it to be quick and easy. Josh and Matt have already said that they are not doing one this year, so I don't want to push them into it. I was just thinking that I could simply upload 12 photos and a NANFA cover image to a print-on-demand calendar website template and be done with it. It would require very little time/work/effort, and NANFA wouldn't have to front the print money. I think I can set the calendar price a little higher than the print cost, so NANFA can make a little money on each sale. It won't be as good as Matt and Josh's calendar, but it would be better than nothing for these people who want a 2017 native fish calendar. That said, I'm open to help or suggestions - as long as it doesn't turn into a big project that drags on.

That sounds good Isaac (if you meant a 2017 calendar), I would get at least one, two more if they could be done before the end of the year.

Yes Mike, I'm talking about a 2017 calendar, and I would hope to have it ready to order within a week or so.

#14 fritz

fritz
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

Awesome Isaac! I will definitely buy 2-3

Fritz

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 04 December 2016 - 06:25 PM

When Matt and Josh were doing it we pretty much let them do their own thing... you certainly have the same latitude.

#16 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 04 December 2016 - 07:00 PM

I don't have much free time to spend on this, so I need it to be quick and easy. Josh and Matt have already said that they are not doing one this year, so I don't want to push them into it. I was just thinking that I could simply upload 12 photos and a NANFA cover image to a print-on-demand calendar website template and be done with it. It would require very little time/work/effort, and NANFA wouldn't have to front the print money. I think I can set the calendar price a little higher than the print cost, so NANFA can make a little money on each sale. It won't be as good as Matt and Josh's calendar, but it would be better than nothing for these people who want a 2017 native fish calendar. That said, I'm open to help or suggestions - as long as it doesn't turn into a big project that drags on.

Yes Mike, I'm talking about a 2017 calendar, and I would hope to have it ready to order within a week or so.

Had to jump on the opportunity to take a jab at Josh.

#17 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:43 AM

Isaac, I am very excited to see what you come up with. I am especially interested in the print on demand option. Honestly, this can be a pretty quick project. Most of my "delays" were exercises in masochism, as I tortured myself over what photos to use and where, and with a desire to include as many contributors as possible. Using only work currently at your disposal will definitely speed the process; you know it as part of your own vision.

If you'd like help, I'm happy to provide it. I do fully intend to work on another calendar, if no one more qualified than I takes the reins. Our egos took the occasional ribbing, but Josh and I always said this wasn't about us; it's for NANFA. We meant it. My eyes are drooling at the thought of the fishy eye candy you could produce. (Or could be produced by any of several other high calibre photogs we are blessed with at NANFA!!) I am honestly flattered at the praise me and Josh's calendar gets, but also honestly feel the designer (me) was pretty clumsy in his execution of the project. Others expressed an interest in working on a 2017 calendar, but it wasn't practical for various reasons for them either. I was eager to see what they could do, and so am eager for your vision, too. Put me down for at least one, and let me know if I can help.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#18 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:23 PM

I didn't think it was clumsy at all.

#19 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 05 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the offers to help, but since I already had the photos ready and am keeping everything simple, there's really not much to do. I've got the photos uploaded to the calendar website, and Casper added a simple cover image with his NANFA logo. I'm about ready to order a test calendar to make sure quality is OK. Once I confirm that, I can provide the link so folks can order the calendar. I will also need to make sure the NANFA BOD is OK with all of this.

#20 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 05 December 2016 - 08:43 PM

Thanks for doing this Isaac.  I was really looking forward to a new NANFA calendar and totally enjoy the first creation.  Because it's so encouraging to look at I actually put activities on it more consistently then any other I've used, which pleases my wife.  So when the announcement was made of no 2017 version I was crushed.  Now there is light, a future, a hope, a reason to endure the hard northeastern winter and your photos are so alive it will seem like a virtual snorkel-rama through it all.  Yes, put me down for at least 2.   

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users