Photo

Aquarium tree conundrum

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 January 2017 - 03:25 PM

Over the years I have grown many trees in aquariums, mostly bald cypress but water tupelo as well as some others that most would not think of as growing in standing water. It works great in a greenhouse but I tried it again last year hoping a window would be enough sunlight. Although the tree is still alive it is not doing well on just light from the window and fluorescent lights intensity drops off too fast unless I train the tree to grow flat across the surface which is yet another can of worms.  

Does anyone else grow trees in an aquarium setting? Any tips you can give? 

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 08 January 2017 - 05:47 PM

I have not tried this, but you might try an understory tree or shrub species that grows naturally in shaded wetlands, like Carpinus (Musclewood), Viburnum nudum, Itea virginica, Leucothoe axillaris, etc.  These are all species I saw recently in swamps in the Leland area not far from you.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Moontanman

Moontanman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 08 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

I have not tried this, but you might try an understory tree or shrub species that grows naturally in shaded wetlands, like Carpinus (Musclewood), Viburnum nudum, Itea virginica, Leucothoe axillaris, etc.  These are all species I saw recently in swamps in the Leland area not far from you.

Thank you for the info, come spring I'll have to do a little bit of tree collecting...

Michael

Life is the poetry of the universe
Love is the poetry of life

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 January 2017 - 09:54 PM

Over the years I have grown many trees in aquariums, mostly bald cypress but water tupelo as well as some others that most would not think of as growing in standing water. It works great in a greenhouse but I tried it again last year hoping a window would be enough sunlight. Although the tree is still alive it is not doing well on just light from the window and fluorescent lights intensity drops off too fast unless I train the tree to grow flat across the surface which is yet another can of worms.  

Does anyone else grow trees in an aquarium setting? Any tips you can give? 

I cannot give much advice, but I can relate my one (well two side by side) experience.  I have two mangroves (one store bought, the other from a pod given to me in West Palm Beach) growing in one of my basement aquariums.  The aquarium sits right under a south facing window that is about two and a half foot wide and 6 foot tall.

The larger mangrove is nearly six feet tall and reaches the basement ceiling.  I feel sure that the smaller one will be that size eventually.

They are in a 30 gallon breeder tub with a layer of soil and sand that has other plants in it and a colony of Flagfish... the only food they get would be fish food or fish poo.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Gambusia

Gambusia
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 11 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

Never tried it.

Would American Larch (Tamarack) work?

#6 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 18 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

As a regular contributor to the MTK (Monster Tree Keepers) forum, I would caution anybody who wishes to try this, to keep in mind the maximum size your tree is likely to attain.  Never keep a tree in a container which it is destined to outgrow unless you have plans to upgrade its housing.  And never, NEVER replant a captive tree in the wild.  You risk introducing disease, not to mention the problem we already face with exotic trees dotting the landscape.  

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#7 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:54 AM

Also keep in mind that captive trees become habituated to human care, and may lose their natural instinct to find their own food and water, or to defend themselves when a human with an axe or chainsaw approaches.

As a regular contributor to the MTK (Monster Tree Keepers) forum, I would caution anybody who wishes to try this, to keep in mind the maximum size your tree is likely to attain.  Never keep a tree in a container which it is destined to outgrow unless you have plans to upgrade its housing.  And never, NEVER replant a captive tree in the wild.  You risk introducing disease, not to mention the problem we already face with exotic trees dotting the landscape.  

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:17 PM

^ some funny guys we've got here.

Nick L.

#9 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:01 PM

You need to consider that looking for a tree that grows well in low light is like looking for a fish that does well without water. Realize that a tree expends energy into producing a trunk that does not photosynthesize, does not produce any food for the plant, in order to win the race for sunlight. It also escapes grazing mammals but not insects, birds, and climbing mammals, so the main reason for being a tree is to reach sunlight.

Gerald's suggestion of an understory tree is sound and many shrubs can be pruned to look like trees. We do it all the time in bonsai, my other major hobby besides native fish. Semi-aquatic shrubs such as buttonbush should work well. Buttonwood is used commonly in bonsai, but it is difficult to get the leaf reduction necessary to make it look like a tiny tree. Realize that trees and shrubs develop a tolerance for the low root oxygen associated with wet roots to win the competition for sunlight.

Many trees live as understory plants until a tree above dies, giving them the chance to win the race for sunlight, but these trees tend to be wide and squatty to get as much light to the leaves as possible. Their growth form is much different than that of mature trees. However, a young tree grown in full sunlight quickly develops the shape of a mature tree.

Bonsai are kept small primarily by root pruning and restricting the roots by pot size.  Branch pruning in bonsai is focused on creating a shape in a young tree that looks like an old tree. There are dwarf varieties of trees that have the shape of the mature tree. For instance, I purchased a Peve Minaret bald cypress last spring that has fits that description. All of my bonsai bald cypress pots sit in water year-round. My wife grows black olive bonsai, Bucida spinosa, with the pot sitting in water. This is a small, spiny tree native to the Caribbean that is tolerant of low light like bald cypress. It is a tropical tree that does well in our greenhouse with drops to 45 degrees F at night during the winter, conditions similar for indoor-kept native fish.

You can probably get additional ideas by visiting a local bonsai club. You will probably get the best help from people who are used to growing small trees in unnatural situations and make them look like large trees.

Phil Nixon

Bonsai Society of Central Illinois Secretary

Tree insect entomologist, University of Illinois

#10 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:41 PM

Bonsai! Do you mean the inhumane method of torture by stunting the growth of otherwise healthy organisms?  FOR SHAME!   

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users