Photo

Native Fish

30 replies to this topic

#21 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:16 PM

Not working in my phone. Will check computer later.

It was a forum setting that was (for some reason) different on the 'welcome' sub-forum... I fixed it... and deleted the extra post and the apology for the extra post (as neither were necessary, we are all learning here). 

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#22 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

Couldn't see 'em either. But I must say I am impressed you haven't frozen solid! Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. Just my two cents on potential inhabitants; I'd make sure I had at least a couple sunfish. They are very visible, and can be quite fun to watch build and defend spawning beds and to feed. Pickerel are seriously cool fish, but I think of them as secretive. Is this a pond you might consider snorkeling in in the summer? Two feet is deep enough to lay in and fish-watch and might make some of the fish that are generally harder to see rather easy to observe...
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#23 Daisy32

Daisy32
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan

Posted 20 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

?

#24 Daisy32

Daisy32
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:03 PM

I see them on my page my pic's posted 3 times, only because I was trying to get it right....I'm new at this, help me post my pic's the right  way...

#25 Daisy32

Daisy32
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:06 PM

It was a forum setting that was (for some reason) different on the 'welcome' sub-forum... I fixed it... and deleted the extra post and the apology for the extra post (as neither were necessary, we are all learning here). 

Thank you! I think I have enough information to get me started for the spring.....

#26 Daisy32

Daisy32
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan

Posted 20 January 2017 - 05:09 PM

Couldn't see 'em either. But I must say I am impressed you haven't frozen solid! Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on things. Just my two cents on potential inhabitants; I'd make sure I had at least a couple sunfish. They are very visible, and can be quite fun to watch build and defend spawning beds and to feed. Pickerel are seriously cool fish, but I think of them as secretive. Is this a pond you might consider snorkeling in in the summer? Two feet is deep enough to lay in and fish-watch and might make some of the fish that are generally harder to see rather easy to observe...

Thank You!

#27 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 20 January 2017 - 07:52 PM

Problem in a closed system while running water 24/7 during winter is super cooling. The water may move but the water temp can get so cold that your fish are dealing with freezing temps. May not be an ice block, but can cause a fish kill. Keep that in mind. A stock tank heater is cheap insurance, but is not cheap to operate. Maybe a smaller model like a bucket heater would at least provide a small area of warmer water for refuge. Obviously your call. very nice looking pond.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#28 Daisy32

Daisy32
  • NANFA Guest
  • Michigan

Posted 21 January 2017 - 09:41 AM

I see it!

#29 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:41 AM

I see 'em now. Very nice pond; one more person for me to be jealous of! :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#30 WheelsOC

WheelsOC
  • NANFA Member

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:30 PM

What about golden shiners, or yellow perch?

#31 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 29 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

In an un-circulated pond, the bottom can remain a few degrees above freezing for longer than if the pond has a pump or aeration. Water reaches its maximum density at 4 C (39 F), and thermal stratification allows this 4 C layer to settle at the bottom if there's not much water movement.  Aerate it and you'll bring colder water to the bottom.

Problem in a closed system while running water 24/7 during winter is super cooling. The water may move but the water temp can get so cold that your fish are dealing with freezing temps. May not be an ice block, but can cause a fish kill. Keep that in mind. A stock tank heater is cheap insurance, but is not cheap to operate. Maybe a smaller model like a bucket heater would at least provide a small area of warmer water for refuge. Obviously your call. very nice looking pond.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users