Loyalsock Creek - 4/29-4/30

2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2007 - 01:16 PM

So yesterday was finally my first netting of the season. It actually started off as a rock gathering trip. I went to Wallis Run, which runs into the Loyalsock Creek. I was around the mouth area. I managed to grab 3 blacknose dace and some unknown, small fish. Also last night I set up a minnow trap infront of my house (Loyalsock Creek), using a chicken flavored dog treat as bait. I checked it this morning and found a stonecat in there. I was very excited, as this is the first one I have caught. I've seen them before in this area though. While bringing in the trap, I noticed the darters were spawning. I managed to catch one female. I let the pairs that were in the process alone, I didn't want to ruin things. Since the Loyalsock is pretty wide, and I can only use a 4 foot net, I decided to head back up to Wallis Run a little more prepared. This time I managed to get 2 sculpins and another blacknose dace.

The numbers were small in these areas, but I didn't try for too long. These are stocked trout streams too, so I didn't expect many fish this point in the season.

I have no idea what the darter I caught is though. I took pictures, now I just need to use a computer with fast enough internet to post it.

#2 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

So yesterday was finally my first netting of the season. It actually started off as a rock gathering trip. I went to Wallis Run, which runs into the Loyalsock Creek. I was around the mouth area. I managed to grab 3 blacknose dace and some unknown, small fish. Also last night I set up a minnow trap infront of my house (Loyalsock Creek), using a chicken flavored dog treat as bait. I checked it this morning and found a stonecat in there. I was very excited, as this is the first one I have caught. I've seen them before in this area though. While bringing in the trap, I noticed the darters were spawning. I managed to catch one female. I let the pairs that were in the process alone, I didn't want to ruin things. Since the Loyalsock is pretty wide, and I can only use a 4 foot net, I decided to head back up to Wallis Run a little more prepared. This time I managed to get 2 sculpins and another blacknose dace.

The numbers were small in these areas, but I didn't try for too long. These are stocked trout streams too, so I didn't expect many fish this point in the season.

I have no idea what the darter I caught is though. I took pictures, now I just need to use a computer with fast enough internet to post it.

Slasher
A couple of decades ago, I was a member of a hunting camp in Sullvan Co. I spent a good bit of time playing the "Sock". That is beautiful territory up there. By the way, those are probably Tesselated darters up there.

Harry Knaub

#3 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

That is really cool. It is beautiful territory, almost the whole length of the creek. That's neat that someone from here knows what area I'm talking about.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users