Photo

TN microfishing + snubnose ID help

25 replies to this topic

#21 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 26 May 2017 - 07:55 PM

Thanks!  The snubnose IDs aren't settled yet, but I have one vote for #2, #3, and #4 all being black darter (E. duryi).  I'm not surprised by that answer, but I'm having a hard time accepting that #3 and #4 are the same genetically.  They were caught from the creek above that big waterfall.  They've certainly been isolated from the rest of the Duck drainage for a long time.  I hope we don't have to start throwing the H word around. :(

#22 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:04 PM

"I hope we don't have to start throwing the H word around. :( "

Awww, c'mon Ben. H-word speculation is an bonafide forum pasttime. Let's don't limit it to sunfish! Besides, DLV's already throwing out a splitter name for rosysides! :)
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#23 BenCantrell

BenCantrell
  • Sebastian, FL

Posted 26 May 2017 - 08:09 PM

I dug through all the photos I took of that last rosyside from above Rutledge Falls and found this gem.

34874886946_4db5c0e53e_c.jpg

#24 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 26 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

Crazy. Mouth more like redside dace(but bigger possibly), but they aren't even in the general area. You might be onto something with those falls. Those fish above have been isolated for how long? I don't think the hybrid card needs to be played. Really neat. We have been watching redside dace in a stream in Kentucky being out competed by both SRBD and their hybrid offspring to the point that we cannot hardly find pure redside anymore. Not really related and involves hybrids, but interesting.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#25 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 28 May 2017 - 12:21 PM

Great report and photos as always, Ben. It looks like it was a fun trip. Thanks for sharing.

#26 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 29 May 2017 - 08:26 AM

Rosy pike-dace

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users