This one should be easy but

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 09:38 PM

Again no pics,
There is a tell tell spot on these two fish, at the rear base of the dorsal fin there is a black dot with orange surrounding it. Both fish are approx. 2" long. I do how ever have these in my holding tank. If I can manage to get or borrow a camera tomorrow I will get some pics. I thought this one would be easy to id, but I cannot find a pic of any fish that looks like them. At least not in the sunfish catagory on natureserve. I wish I could find my native NC fish book, but it is still hiding in a box from the move.

Hope that I can figure these out, they have some neat markings that I have not seen on fish around here.

Oh these are from Chowan County in NC, they are not from the bait and tackle store like the other one I asked about.

#2 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:04 PM

Bantam?

#3 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:07 PM

I dont think so but I will look again at some more pics and see if they look the same.

The dot reminds me of the dots that you see on red drum. It is that dark and on a 2 inch fish the dot is about 1/4 across. It is in the dorsal fin and not on the body.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:08 PM

We would all be guessing until you post a pic. Get that camera and post one :smile:

#5 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:14 PM

I just found a pic of a bantam that looks similar but the dot is higher on the fish that I have. Not to mention they don't exist (supposedly) as far east as I am.
Here is the pic of the bantam that looks similar but again the dot on the fish I have is more rounded and a little higher up.

http://gwsphotos.com/images/2118.jpg

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:16 PM

Is it a sunfish?

Is it a Flier? http://uland.nativef..._serialNumber=4

#7 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

Thats the one, just like that. =D> =D> =D> =D>

I will still post a pic when I get a camera working.

Thanks

#8 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2007 - 11:03 PM

Could be a flier, how many spines in the anal fin?

#9 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2007 - 03:32 PM

juvenile flier

Fritz

#10 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

juvenile flier is one of the two types that I have. After seeing the picture I can positively id that one.

There are 2 flier and 4 of the kind below. The tank is a rubber maid 55 liter, it is thier holding tank for now. The water is from where they were taken. I am slowly changing it over to the water I use for my other tanks.

So what about this one here for an ID
Attached File  Sun_001.jpg   55.65KB   0 downloads
Here it is with a measurement, I was amazed he/she didn't take off when I put the ruler up there.
Attached File  Sun_002.jpg   62.74KB   0 downloads

#11 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:46 AM

Well I checked out natureserve and found that bluegill are not supposed to be in my area, I know that doesn't mean that they aren't. But from what pics I have found to compare it to he/she looks like a small bluegill.

Here is a list by watershed for the area in which I got him/her.
Chowan Watershed

Of the sunfish listed I can not find anyone of them that resembles this fish. Maybe I am not looking in the right place or at the right pictures.
I went back to this creek last night for a little while just to see if I could find anything other than these two types of sunfish there. I saw a fish that looked different but could not catch it. I did find after catching 20 fish (and releasing them) that the fliers are out numbered by 1 to 4. I also took a count on redfins, the only other fish that I know is in this creek for sure. I managed to put 5 redfins down for a count and of the five one was almost 10" long. That was a shock when he showed up in the net. Oh I amost forgot that there are the most common fish to ever live in North America is there as well the snack food mosquito fish.

So any idea what kind of fish this one is?

#12 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:12 AM

Bluegill. You need a copy of Edward Menhinicks' Freshwater Fishes of NC, 1991, which has dot maps rather than shaded areas. Lotsa bluegill dots around Chowan & Perquimans Counties. See also NC-DWQ fish sampling records at http://www.esb.enr.s...nc.us/NCIBI.htm >> select Chowan or Pasquotank basins

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users