Photo

Footwear

25 replies to this topic

#1 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 14 June 2017 - 12:26 PM

What is people's favorite 'into the water' footwear?

#2 olaf

olaf
  • NANFA Member

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:43 PM

If it's warm enough, then whatever running or trail running shoes I've had long enough that I don't care about making them smell terrible. Running shoes with lots of mesh are best since they drain and dry better. If it's shallow, and I don't want wet feet, then relatively cheap rubber boots, the tallest I can get. I usually wear out a pair of rubber boots in 2 seasons--and it's the same whether I get the cheap ones or more expensive ones. I hate all sandals for wading--normal ones just lead to me stubbing my toes on rocks and logs, and the ones with toe caps (e.g., Keens) fill up with sand and gravel. 

Redhorse ID downloads and more: http://moxostoma.com

#3 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 02:40 PM

An old pair of Chuck Taylors
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 14 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

Of course, this is a personal decision...but I'll weigh in.

I wear Simm's wading boots, an older version of this boot:  https://www.simmsfis...2-boa-boot.html

I've had them 5 years now.  They had the BOA wire lacing system, which worked great and was very convenient for getting them off of wet socked feet.  I love the boots because I have wide feet and their very roomy.  They toe protection is excellent, and the studs and sole combination work very well in strong current on almost all types of algae covered rock.  They don't work as well as felt soles, IMHO, but we can't have them in Maryland.

After three years, the BOA system broke.  So, I modified them to accept laces with my handy DeWalt drill, and now I'm on my 3rd season after the modification.  I wade fish the rivers and creeks with these.

The drawbacks are the price on the initial cost and they're heavier than tennis shoes, not much of a problem in the water but makes for a slower walk back to the vehicle.  However, if you average the cost of mine over all 6 seasons, it's $33 per year.  I like the Simms the best of all that I've owned over the years, and I'd tried many brands.  Why?  Because they fit the best for me.  

If I have to buy another pair though, I'd buy a regular lace up version, perhaps the Headwaters boot.

Why wading boots instead of cheap tennis shoes?  I've fallen many times using tennis shoes and I swore, after many bruises and near drownings, that I'd never wear anything other than a sturdy wading boot.  Also, when wading deeper rocky rivers in my area, you can slide down a sloping boulder into another one and jam your toes in regular shoes.  Not much of a problem with wading boots, except for your shins maybe.  Since I've worn them, falls are a very rare occurrence and never because I slipped.  Most of my falls are because I'm wading/walking in waist deep water while fishing with my eyes up, not watching where I'm going, and I trip over a big rock that is about a foot under water that leaves no current signature, tripping me face first.  That happened to me once last year and twice the year before.  You'd think that I'd learn...  #-o

Kevin Wilson

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 June 2017 - 08:17 PM

Agree with Chasmodes. I bought a pair of Simms and they have lasted several years. I wade with them and the fit my sick foot waders. Well worth the extra money. And I think my wife got a good deal on the online. Maybe only $100.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#6 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:37 AM

Astral Hayaks.  They are designed for kayakers so they drain really well and are very light, the uppers are made of a nylon mesh and the sole is very sticky kind of like a climbing shoe so they offer really good traction on wet rocks.  Excellent for approach walks, wading and diving.

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#7 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:38 AM

Michael's comment about using them with waders made me think of something to add.  I use them with waders and also for wet wading.  When I wet wade, I wear two pair of thick hunting socks to fill up the room the waders take up.  I pull the outer sock down over the top of the boot to keep out rocks and sand, kind of like a gaiter that I own but and too lazy to find, bring with me and put on.  The socks also provides a little more cushioning.  The past two years, I got rid of the insoles and don't notice much difference, just slightly firmer.  I think that the insoles compacted over time the first three years anyway and were just taking up space.

Kevin Wilson

#8 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:41 AM

Thanks all!

#9 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:50 PM

Yeah. Simms. Felt if you are going to be in crazy slick Appalachian streams where felt is not prohibited. Otherwise rubber with studs. Not familiar with what Bryce is suggesting. They may be great, but they may or may not be ideal for kick seining(protecting your feet from the rocks you are kicking). Not sure that one shoe is best. Felt is the best on slippery rocks, but is not as durable when kick seining and can transfer invasive algae. Rubber with studs are more durable, but not as sticky as felt. I think the rubber on Simms boots is supposed to be sticky, but from experience it is not as sticky as climbing rubber. So maybe Astral Hayaks have the best of both worlds if they protect your feet. I have both studded rubber Simms, and felt bottom Simms. Love them both, and they have outlasted any $60 dollar boot by 3 times.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#10 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:21 AM

I'd agree on a good quality wading boot, Simms or other.  I have a pair of Hodgman H3 felts, and like them just fine.

What I'll add here is I use Frogg Toggs Wade socks and they are well worth the money.  It's a neoprene sock to wear with wade boots.

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#11 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:09 AM

Personally, I like to be economical and recycle trash that I see stream-side to fashion me a pair of these bad boys:

cbd60276952f148bd4dfd8554f15c94e.jpg

Nick L.

#12 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:41 AM

Ummmm...

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

What I'll add here is I use Frogg Toggs Wade socks and they are well worth the money.  It's a neoprene sock to wear with wade boots.

I like the Simms socks. They are not neoprene. They seem to be some weird blend of wool and polypropylene. Very durable.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#14 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:51 PM

Simms my favorite for reasons already mentioned.

Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#15 MtFallsTodd

MtFallsTodd
  • NANFA Member
  • Mountain Falls, Virginia

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:13 PM

Those are great Nick!!!
Deep in the hills of Great North Mountain

#16 4WheelVFR

4WheelVFR
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 16 June 2017 - 08:47 PM

Mesh trail running or running shoes seem to work well for me.  Comfortable and dry out fast.  

#17 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Too funny Nick!   :fishy:

That reminds of of "The Office" episode where the Character named Kevin attended Jim and Pam's wedding wearing Kleenex boxes as shoes.  He left them at the front desk to be cleaned and they tossed them out because they said that they stunk too bad.  I think the bottles are much more streamlined and will hold up better in water though...good choice!  :D/

Kevin Wilson

#18 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:09 PM

Dang, Nick. With those Sasquatch paws you shouldna need nuttin' in the footwear department...

I would love to get a pair of Simms, but I tend to run with $10 Wally World "running shoes". Some last longer, some shorter, but they usually give you plenty of warning before they crap out.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#19 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:04 AM

As much as I would love to claim those Frodo Baggins feet as my own, the image was from the internet.  But the idea is sound.

To put some valuable input in to this thread, I like to use hard bottomed dive boots.  Still not the greatest if you plan on kick seining, but definitely comfortable for walking around various stream bottoms.

Nick L.

#20 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:27 PM

I use a wading shoe by Simms called Rip Rap. It looks more like a running shoe than wading boot, has a draw string instead of laces, breathable, and can be worn for wet wading or with my waders. I love em.

I've always just used regular socks with them for wet wading, but I just got the Simms socks Josh referred to. However, I have yet to try them out.

FishGuyJosh

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users