Photo

Footwear

25 replies to this topic

#21 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:21 PM

I bought a pair of Simms water boots a couple of years ago, after reading endorsement in our forums from fish-pros about how much they liked them. When the people who have wet feet four or five days a week talk about gear they find holds up, I listen.

I can't tell you how many pairs of cheap ($30-$50) boots I've bought that only last a year or two before falling apart. They're just not made to handle being wet so much. Or darter shuffling. And I don't get out collecting all that much.

The Simms are expensive, but well worth it. Cheaper in the long run, because they last. The RipRap that Joshua described in the previous post looks great, but I went with a heftier boot that offers more toe protection and ankle support. I think I'll put the Rip Raps on my Xmas list.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#22 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 24 June 2017 - 07:15 AM

These may be suitable for the modest native enthusiast. (Sorry couldn't resist)
IMG_3989.PNG
Nick L.

#23 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 26 June 2017 - 06:39 AM

Species?  In the sole family perhaps?   :tongue:

Kevin Wilson

#24 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

I use a wading shoe by Simms called Rip Rap. It looks more like a running shoe than wading boot, has a draw string instead of laces, breathable, and can be worn for wet wading or with my waders. I love em.

I've always just used regular socks with them for wet wading, but I just got the Simms socks Josh referred to. However, I have yet to try them out.

I am with Doug, might need to give these a shot.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#25 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:37 PM

Will the Simms Rip Rap (or comparable) hold up in saltwater and/or light Florida muck or are they primarily for clear, rocky streams?  Is there a better water shoes for saltwater grass flats?  inland Florida collecting?  Thanks.

#26 TimothyHD

TimothyHD
  • NANFA Guest
  • Menomonee Falls, WI

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:13 PM

So I ended up picking up a set of Froggtogg Rana's and Neoprene socks on clearance at Gander Mountain.  We'll see how long they hold up, but for a total of $45, I'm not worried.  They've worked well for the half dozen time I've gone out. 

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users