Successful introduction to aquarium

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:01 AM

On Saturday of this past weekend, I caught 9 long nose dace. The water they came out of was 57 degrees. Once I got home I turned the heater off in a 28 gallon bow-front aquarium that has been set up empty in my basement, except for some plants, for a month or two. The other unheated tanks in the basement were all 62-64 degrees, but the 28 was around 74. I removed five gallons of water and replaced it with ice, brought the temp down to 60 in a few hours (put ice in twice). As I am moving soon I just wanted to give them a temporary home so I added some rocks, sticks, a wad of tree roots, a bunch of detritus (complete with emphems and some plecops and in they went. I also have an Aquaclear 500 moving the water for them, and with the water 2in below the top the water drop adds a bit more velocity to the water!

Anyway on day one they all took frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms. Day two they took flakes also and now take flake with the frozen (and seem to enjoy it). I'll continue on a rotation of frozen, flake and whatever other inverts I collect on subsequent outings.

#2 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 08:48 AM

That's the way to do it. Sounds like you've got a great grasp on how to introduce natives to the home aquarium. =D>

#3 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:07 AM

Thanks, and after only 3 days they no longer hide when the light is on an I'm in front of the tank!

#4 Guest_gerald_*

Guest_gerald_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

Thanks, and after only 3 days they no longer hide when the light is on an I'm in front of the tank!

minnows learn mighty quick who feeds them. ive had wild caught rosyside dace taking flake food within 15 minutes of getting into a tank, and begging when they see me within 2 days. not so quick for most other fish families. i always offer food immediately to new fish, especially small ones. they recover from collecting stress much quicker with a good meal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users