Id help?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Christine_*

Guest_Christine_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

My neighbor emailed me this picture of a fish she found in a creek in Georgia. I think this would be in the upper Ocmulgee watershed. She said she found it hiding amongst the leaves on the creek bottom. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Oh the fish in question is the fish in the front of the picture.
Thanks!
Christine

Posted Image

#2 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:47 AM

That looks like a an eastern blacknosed dace. I have 3/4 dozen of them in my tank. When I go to different streams that have varying substrate cover and/or water color the dace in those streams (all blacknosed dace) are different shades. Mine are darker than the one in your photo.

http://fish.dnr.corn...knose_dace.html

#3 Guest_Christine_*

Guest_Christine_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 09:18 AM

Thank you!

That looks like a an eastern blacknosed dace. I have 3/4 dozen of them in my tank. When I go to different streams that have varying substrate cover and/or water color the dace in those streams (all blacknosed dace) are different shades. Mine are darker than the one in your photo.

http://fish.dnr.corn...knose_dace.html

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 May 2007 - 11:59 AM

Since you say Georgia (and I am in Georgia) and the dace previously mentioned is not a Georgia fish as far as I know, I would say that I think the fish is a creek chub. I zoomed in a little on the picture, adn there seems to be a nice black line down the side and lighter colored lips. Based on the size that I think it is, they usually have a fairly strong black line. If you can't get a better picture, something you can look for is a small dark (maybe even reddish) spot right where the dorsal fin attaches to the body. If that small spot is there then it is probably a creek chub.

If you can get a clearer picture we can be even more sure.

My neighbor emailed me this picture of a fish she found in a creek in Georgia. I think this would be in the upper Ocmulgee watershed. She said she found it hiding amongst the leaves on the creek bottom. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? Oh the fish in question is the fish in the front of the picture.
Thanks!
Christine

Posted Image

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:30 PM

For what its worth...

http://www.dnr.sc.go...MountUPlain.pdf

At the top of page 3, reference is made to the blacknosed dace in Georgia.

#6 Guest_Christine_*

Guest_Christine_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 01:14 PM

Thank you. She mentioned she was going to put it back in the creek. As you can see, she tanked it with her petstore bought tropicals. I asked her to give it to me rather than put it back in the creek as I was worried about it carrying "stuff" from her tank to the creek. If she decides to give it to me, I will get a better photo for identification. She says its about 3 inches.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:25 PM

Good reference... thanks scottefontay... I was just going on my expereince and her reference to the Ocmulgee (I don't think I've ever encountered one and natureserve didn't list it in the drainage). Not sure how far north we are talking about in the upper Ocmulgee, but my thoughts were that this is really just NE Atlanta suburbs... not really cool enough waters for the dace in question. Looking at the rivers mentioned in your reference, I'm going to stick with my guess... but your right about the "Georgia fish" comment that I made and I stand corrected.

For what its worth...<a href="http://www.dnr.sc.go...ountUPlain.pdf" target="_blank">
</a>
http://www.dnr.sc.go...MountUPlain.pdf

At the top of page 3, reference is made to the blacknosed dace in Georgia.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

I agree with Mike on a creek chub ID, for reasons he stated and also because the snout looks broader than a blacknosed dace. I have one just about that size in one of my tanks so I've been looking daily.

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:27 PM

Let us know if you can get the fish... we all love a good mystery... and the best kind is one that we can actually solve... which would be made a lot easier with a better photo :smile: ... I also appreciate your understanding of the problems that could be caused by re-introducing the fish back into the stream.

Thank you. She mentioned she was going to put it back in the creek. As you can see, she tanked it with her petstore bought tropicals. I asked her to give it to me rather than put it back in the creek as I was worried about it carrying "stuff" from her tank to the creek. If she decides to give it to me, I will get a better photo for identification. She says its about 3 inches.

#10 Guest_Christine_*

Guest_Christine_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 04:48 PM

Well, I'm hopeful she will give the fish to me rather than put it back in the creek. She may decide to keep it, I'm not sure. She thinks its ugly at the moment sooooo who knows. She did however give me the crayfish today that she also got out of the creek and tanked with her fish. I'm not sure how I will house him yet as I don't really have an appropriate tank. I may end up with a big rubbermaid type tub outside for him or something. I'll have to do some research to see what its needs are and what I can do about meeting them or else finding him a new home. I've never really had any experience keeping them.

There is apparantly some fish that she saw in the creek that she says looks red & white that she is trying to catch. I told her next time to just put back any fish that she had no intentions of keeping and if she was undecided to put them in a container with creek water and nothing thats been in contact with her fish so that she could put them back in the creek once she decided. I'll work on that photo. The creek is actually SE of Atlanta.

Let us know if you can get the fish... we all love a good mystery... and the best kind is one that we can actually solve... which would be made a lot easier with a better photo :smile: ... I also appreciate your understanding of the problems that could be caused by re-introducing the fish back into the stream.

#11 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

It looks a bit like a stoneroller minnow female or non breeding young male. Don't usually have the stripe that dark but I've seen a few. But it is hard to see clearly. Don't know if that's even a possibility in that area.

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:34 PM

Hey Mike, yeah, I thought the same thing, and there are stonerollers around here... in fact there are supposed to be bluefin stonerollers in the Ocmulgee... but I usually see a fairly dark cresent behind the gill plate on a stoneroller, that I can't see any hint of in the photo... who knows, but I agree that is another good idea.

It looks a bit like a stoneroller minnow female or non breeding young male. Don't usually have the stripe that dark but I've seen a few. But it is hard to see clearly. Don't know if that's even a possibility in that area.

#13 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 07 May 2007 - 07:42 PM

Hey Christine, there are a number of shiners that will look rather red this time of year... and some of those have lighter colored fins... in fact there are so many that I could not really guess what she is seeing... without seeing one... if they are shiners, they will be pretty fast this time of year and you will likely need a seine to catch more than just a few... but they are also fun to keep (my favorist actually are shiners... yellowfins from around here... up by Athens, Georgia).

There is apparantly some fish that she saw in the creek that she says looks red & white that she is trying to catch. I told her next time to just put back any fish that she had no intentions of keeping and if she was undecided to put them in a container with creek water and nothing thats been in contact with her fish so that she could put them back in the creek once she decided. I'll work on that photo. The creek is actually SE of Atlanta.

#14 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:48 AM

Well to be sure I think a better pic is needed but I would say a stoneroller of some sort. The mouth looks too small for a creek chub, they have a rather large terminal mouth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users