Photo

New Member from Knoxville Tennessee

9 replies to this topic

#1 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

Hello everyone I just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I'm a current student at UT Knoxville. I am a Fish and Wildlife major. I have worked alongside Dr. Keck and took some of the classes he has taught.  I enjoy seining the diverse creeks and rivers in Tennessee. I will hopefully be pretty active on the forum. If you ever want to see a picture or two of fish from The University of Tennessee Etnier Ichthyological Collection just let me know. I might even get Dr. Etnier to pose with it.

Attached Images

• 20170812_133121.jpg

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:26 PM

Welcome nameless youngster.

You are schooling in a fine region and university.

We have several active members in Knoxville and though i am in Chattanooga i get up that way several times a year.

Snorkeling the Little River is a favored site.

I visited Dr. Etnier the other day and sampled some of his Shiners, Snail Darters and Blotchside Loggies.

He has a LOT of fish!

Welcome to NANFA. I hope you will become a member and thus will receive our quarterly... the excellent American Currents.

You will also be updated on any member activities we will have in the region.

Lots of fun we have.

Casper

Attached Images

• Tasty.JPG
  • Ets-SnailDarter.JPG

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:56 PM

Names Jake Wade . I paid for my membership last night. Must just take the system a day or two to catch up. 

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

Welcome Jake, I will get you updated this weekend. Its all manual and I am traveling with work. But we will get you updated.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:19 PM

Welcome Jake.

Are you a snorkeler?

Seeing your shocker would make a treat for some of our TN members.

Those catfish and madtoms hide under banks and a shocker drives them out.

I've seen a lot of fish killed though so generally frown upon its use.

3 or 4 guys wielding a seine does a pretty good job.

Where you from?

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#6 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

Michael sounds good no rush. 

I've occasionally snorkeled but it's not exactly my thing. I wish that was my shocker, but that picture was taken during a UT field trip. If your shocker is killing fish you might have it turned up a little too much lol. I'm originally from an area north of Nashville called Portland. 

#7 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

Welcome aboard, Jake Shadetree! Look forward to seeing you around the forum. There's much more to NANFA than just the forum, though. This year's convention is in northern GA, so hopefully you'll be able to make that.

Out of curiosity, do you remember what darters you may have shocked up out of that water willow in your picture? BTW, that's a great pic. I bet you already have, but if you haven't, get a copy of that one printed up to keep. It will serve you well.
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#8 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:34 AM

Out of curiosity, do you remember what darters you may have shocked up out of that water willow in your picture?

I don't recall getting darters in this river system. We were somewhere up north in WV and all they had were sculpins and stonerollers.

#9 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:50 PM

I also hope to make it to GA this year if I can. I should take orders for seine nets from the local shop here in Knoxville, I'm not sure how hard it is for others to get nets.

#10 taldridge0321

taldridge0321
  • NANFA Member
  • Pigeon Watershed, North Carolina

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:37 PM

Welcome, I am two hours East of Knoxville, in Waynesville, NC. I also spend a good amount of time in Tennessee. Welcome aboard!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users