free fish food every night

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:40 PM

Well almost free. Found these combo solar pathlight/ bug zapper at Meijer. $10 I plan to try this one out by hanging it above an outdoor pond, and seeing how much free fish food it adds. Of course I had to touch it, and it packs a whollop!

Attached Files

#2 Guest_madtom15_*

Guest_madtom15_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 03:47 PM

On a similar note, I've read some old pond keeping articles (from before the time of bug zappers) that suggested suspending a chunk of rotting meat in a mesh basket/bag above the pond; after flies lay their eggs and the maggots hatch, the maggots fall directly into the pond. The fish get a slow, continual supply of food. This technique may not be for the modern (married) hygenic pondkeeper, but it's creative.

Travis

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 04:02 PM

If I were not married there would be rotting flesh all over the place, but the bug zapper will have to suffice.

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 05:17 PM

If I were not married there would be rotting flesh all over the place

That kinda scary. I know I'm crazy, but not rotting meat all over the place crazy.

#5 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 06:27 PM

Matt you actually touched the bug zapper to test it out? somehow that does not surprise me that much (I probably would too :P ) I swear your like my long lost brother or something....

Great idea...

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

That kinda scary. I know I'm crazy, but not rotting meat all over the place crazy.

I have this friend who does all kinds of stuff that registers as weird. One day I came to visit and he had shot a crow a day or two before (why?) - the crow was hanging upside down from a tree limb. I asked him why he strung the crow up in the tree, and he said in a dead matter of fact voice, "Tryin' to see what comes and f**ks with it".

#7 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

I have this friend who does all kinds of stuff that registers as weird. One day I came to visit and he had shot a crow a day or two before (why?) - the crow was hanging upside down from a tree limb. I asked him why he strung the crow up in the tree, and he said in a dead matter of fact voice, "Tryin' to see what comes and f**ks with it".

OK...Mississippi is now off the states I might move to in the next few years or so..

#8 Guest_c03999_*

Guest_c03999_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 07:54 PM

OK...Mississippi is now off the states I might move to in the next few years or so..

that kind of stuff is standard in SC too.

#9 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:09 PM

that kind of stuff is standard in SC too.

Hmmm...Ok...In that case I'll just have to adapt and learn to hang carp of trees...Actually thats not a bad idea at all..That would really keep those pesky kids and Jehovah witnesses from knocking on my door and running away.

#10 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:10 PM

...he said, the man from the great state of Michigan, where they hang their deer out front to drip dry the first day of hunting season like it's some kind of super dominant male monkey award.

Ted Nugent called... He said he wants the crow back.

:D

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:18 PM

...he said, the man from the great state of Michigan, where they hang their deer out front to drip dry the first day of hunting season like it's some kind of super dominant male monkey award.

Ted Nugent called... He said he wants the crow back.

:D

Hey now it's not a super dominant male monkey award...It's a "rite of passage" and a show of respect to the dead deers rack size.

Yeah OK.... I'm not touching on this one any further...

How about those solar powered bug zappers.....

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:26 PM

Ummm, you guys are derailing my very important, and possibly life changing thread.

#13 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:36 PM

Ummm, you guys are derailing my very important, and possibly life changing thread.

I'm getting it back on topic... :P
Really man it is a great idea. I'm going to actually go pick up a few of these myself to test out over the Starhead topminnow pond this season. Not really needed where I'm at but it is worth a good test. This may come in very handy for outdoor pool culturing some goodied, poecilia and gambusia species I'm working with.

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 08:47 PM

Illinois gnats

#15 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:09 PM

Especially if you're a green lacewing! :)

#16 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 07:24 AM

One of my buddies had built an indoor composting bin (vegetables only) that he kept in his basement. It wasn't huge, about the size of a big garbage can. He built some simple square wooden frames and stapled varying sized galvenized wire mesh to the bottoms, smallest mesh size on top, and largest on bottom. He seeded it with red worms. As they ate the leftovers the smaller pieces and worm droppings would fall through to the bottom. The result was great potting soil and a steady supply of worms for his fish all winter. Now that I'm back in NY after living in CA for a while I can see that this would make a good source of winter protein for my fish, and it reduces the load on the landfill.

Matt, so you don't feel so alone...when I bought a pair of electric training collars for my dogs I didn't want to use it until I knew what it felt like. Those things pack a whallup let me tell you!!!! Of course the beer convinced me to put it on the highest setting. Just don't let the Mrs. get a hold of the control while you have the collar...trust me :shock:

#17 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:18 PM

My grandfather would just put a light over his holding pond and the insects would just fall in the water at night like crazy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users