44 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 23 November 2018 - 05:58 PM

Information for NANFAcon2019 is up on the NANFA website at:

http://www.nanfa.org/convention.shtml

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 24 November 2018 - 10:13 AM

Wooooot!
Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#3 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 24 November 2018 - 03:21 PM

Looking forward to it.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#4 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 24 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

Can't wait! My family is right down the road in Yazoo County. This will be a great chance to get fishy and see the fam all in one trip!

FishGuyJosh

#5 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 26 November 2018 - 11:31 AM

Big Apple Inn, downtown Jackson... if you have the nerve.

I'm working on it.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#6 lilyea

lilyea
  • NANFA Member
  • Peace River Watershed, Central Florida, USA

Posted 26 November 2018 - 12:36 PM

Big Apple Inn, downtown Jackson... if you have the nerve.
I'm working on it.

Where else are you gonna go to get a pig ear sandwich? - Big Apple Inn owner

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 27 January 2019 - 02:38 PM

From Our Convention Host:

We are now accepting lightning talks for NANFA 2019 on May 31st at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science in Mississippi. We are accepting talks until March 31st, but will give scheduled slots on a first come first serve basis. We only have 11 lightning (5 minutes) talk slots available, so these slots may go quickly! If you would like to give a talk, please email Matt Wagner at matthew.wagner@mmns.ms.gov with:

1.       Your name

2.       Talk title

3.       Short description

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#8 Akpinion

Akpinion
  • NANFA Member
  • Texas

Posted 28 January 2019 - 10:37 AM

Are these the only talks to sign up for? I know I'm meant to give a talk on my project bc of the conservation grant... just checking 

From Our Convention Host:

We are now accepting lightning talks for NANFA 2019 on May 31st at the Mississippi Museum of Natural Science in Mississippi. We are accepting talks until March 31st, but will give scheduled slots on a first come first serve basis. We only have 11 lightning (5 minutes) talk slots available, so these slots may go quickly! If you would like to give a talk, please email Matt Wagner at matthew.wagner@mmns.ms.gov with:

1.       Your name

2.       Talk title

3.       Short description

#9 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 28 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

Amanda, please reach out to Matt and ask hi via email.  I mentioned to him that we might need a few spots other than just the lightening talks, not sure if he still has any open.

#10 Irate Mormon

Irate Mormon
  • NANFA Member
  • Crooked Creek, Mississippi

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:48 PM

I've eaten the pig ear sandwiches.  The place is barely big enough to turn around in, but it's been a fixture here for some time. 

-The member currently known as Irate Mormon

#11 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

Martin... maybe you could give a lightning talk on the experience.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#12 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

Here is the final T-Shirt art approved by our MS Host Matt Wagner and those involved.

The shirts will be printed using a dye sublimation technique like last year's Georgia shirts.

The shirt is the same 100% poly quick dry material, in a nice sand color.

Everyone attending will get a shirt.

Dennis will be printing some extras and shipping a box full to me in advance for those interested in buying a shirt.

Registration details will be available soon.

Attached File  NANFA-MS-Shirts.jpg   38.48KB   4 downloads

Front and back.

Attached File  NANFA-MS-Shirt-Final-Back.jpg   191.83KB   4 downloads

Back image.

Casper Cox

#13 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 15 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

That Mona Lisa fish is looking at me!

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#14 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 15 February 2019 - 10:36 PM

In general, what would someone from New York State be able to collect and  keep at this convention ?

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

Information for NANFAcon2019 is up on the NANFA website at:

Registration is now open for NANFAcon2019 in Jackson, Mississippi.  Go to the convention announcement page and read all about it as well as find the link to registration and online payment to secure your spot (and this year get a free convention t-shirt!).

#16 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 05 March 2019 - 05:34 PM

Is there a stickie somewhere with recommendations on how to bring gear ( waders ,dipnets,seines } via the airlines  to conventions? Maybe recommend items to bring like handnets, ponchos etc.?  Thinking of the firstimers [like me?] 

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 05 March 2019 - 10:43 PM

It varies so much.  Each convention is somewhat unique. Keep checking the announcement page, it will get updated occasionally, as our host provides more info.

http://www.nanfa.org...tion/2019.shtml

Just my opinion, but I dont think you will need waders in MS in June.  And I dont know of anyone that has ever tried to bring a seine in an airplane (although people do take skis all over the place so maybe??

#18 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 March 2019 - 04:09 AM

It's handy that collecting with any seine in the 6 to 20ft range is often done best with 2 to 4 workers per seine. And more is not unusual at large gatherings. Apprentice/trainee pole-wielder, wild shuffle dancers (n=2 or 3), bucket carriers, kibbitzers, identifiers, photographers, list keepers, dry-footers ... there's a variety of optional roles available, at any given moment.

So if you are flying in, don't fret about bringing a seine. The drive-to crowd will bring plenty.

That said, I think one of the newer Perfect Dipnets would break down and possibly fit into a suitcase. 

d.d.

----

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.

Teach a man to fish and you gift him a hobby for a lifetime.

(Or her.) 

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#19 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 06 March 2019 - 11:11 AM

I have taken collecting gear on a plane several times. I have a Samsonite hard-sided, 2-suiter suitcase that I bag check, it is really too big to fit in overhead bins on the plane, although there are plenty of people who do so, eliminating space for others. I bet TSA would not allow the net handle through security in a carry-on anyway. My standard 12 inch square Perfect Dip Net head fits perfectly. I have a two-piece handle that fits as well.

I have a 9 inch square Perfect Dip Net head that fits in carry-on size luggage, and the two-piece handle fits if you separate the two pieces. The handle is too long to fit in the suitcase when slid together. I have not taken this on a plane, only on road trips where my assembled net would have been a hassle to others. 

I wear Cabela's Gore-tex type, stocking-foot waders which roll up to be about a foot long and 6 inches in diameter. They and a pair of wading boots easily fit in my large suitcase along my with dip net and clothes. I buy an inexpensive bucket at my destination to complete my fish collection outfit. 

The only problem I've had was on returning from Florida in 2016. I had collected Pteronotropis colei in a sandy-bottomed river where my boots got lots of sand in them. After two days of drying in my hotel room, the boots were still wet and thus still held some sand. Although I put the boots in closed plastic bags, TSA opened those bags and did not close them back up. As a result, sand got into all of my clothes and other items. There was also a sheet from TSA on how to properly pack a suitcase, although wet, sandy wading boots were not addressed in it. 

I have heard that those who travel to tropical fish shows are allowed to take their fish on the plane. I have never done so, shipping them back to my home instead using the post office of UPS.

As others have said, NANFA collecting trips have plenty of seines by those driving so there's no need to take one on a plane. On non-NANFA trips, I'm collect by myself so there is no one to help handle a seine anyway.

Phil Nixon

Illinois

#20 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 March 2019 - 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone,all good stuff. I was thinking i needed my trusty one man seine [ 4 ft.].  My two dipnets are Pentair DN33AL monorail, they don't collapse. All of you have given me food for thought,thanks. 

Denis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users