NANFA CON 2019 in Jackson, Mississippi

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Mike

Mike
  • Regional Rep
  • Indiana

Posted 06 March 2019 - 07:46 PM

Looks like dip-nets can't be used in Mississippi.

Mike Berg
Northwest Indiana

#22 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 06 March 2019 - 10:34 PM

Ouch! Thanks.

#23 swampfish

swampfish
  • NANFA Member

Posted 07 March 2019 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten that from earlier posts. 

I looked at the Mississippi regs months ago. Apparently where other states limit the use of metal dip nets to certain bait fish and allow other dip nets, Mississippi does not make that distinction in their dip net restriction.

Phil Nixon

#24 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 07 March 2019 - 06:22 PM

Denis, I agree with others. Just get yourself there with appropriate apparel. Bring some containers if you want to keep fish. Really it is a team kind of thing. Everyone has opportunity to be as involved as they want. When someone burns out on holding the net, someone else gets their turn. Same with kicking. It really just kind of works out perfectly. Bring what you want, but don't fret about what your missing.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#25 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 09 March 2019 - 01:14 PM

If i was seining in tangled, dark Mississippi water i would want a thin wader layer between me and briars and fangs and spiders and rusty fish hooks and baby gators and...

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#26 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 09 March 2019 - 08:35 PM

Thanks again everyone. Turns out i won't be able to make it after all .

#27 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:56 PM

Important new information about field trips and speakers and more... totally revised announcement page... check it out.

http://www.nanfa.org...2019 Agenda.pdf

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#28 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 18 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

Michael,

Are there going to be any field trips for snorkelers/photographers or are we going to be rolled in with the collectors?

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#29 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 18 March 2019 - 03:07 PM

Nothing official. I think Casper and I might have one idea. Maybe we can get some other recommendations from Matt.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#30 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 29 March 2019 - 05:33 PM

Wooot!  Registered!  Had a bit of trouble with PayPal.  Apparently only one of the three  "pay with paypal" buttons will take you the payment page.  Think it was the one on the top left when you get to that part.

So stinkin' excited!

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#31 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Registered!

I plan to arrive a day or 2 early and assist our host Matt with setups and errands and share a pig ear sandwich at the Big Apple Inn.

The Wolfe and i plan on staying around Sunday and Monday if others are so inclined.

I hope to snorkel in clear water at least once but will for the most part enjoy watching seiners pull and twist.

About a month away!  Time to register.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#32 Fishwhisperer

Fishwhisperer
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 01 May 2019 - 05:50 AM

Iowa Scott reporting for duty.  Signed up this morning.

#33 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:00 AM

Looking forward to seeing everyone, though it appears the registered numbers are low.  Matt is a proven and excellent host and the museum is impressive.  Always new fish to see and our banquet cook is of the finest quality.

Casper Cox

#34 sbtgrfan

sbtgrfan
  • NANFA Member
  • Charleston, SC

Posted 02 May 2019 - 08:09 PM

I wish I could make it. I’ve had fun at the last two conventions I’ve been to, I know this would be just as good or better. Plus the diversity of fish down there is reason enough to go. Unfortunately the finances just can’t handle it this year...
Stephen Beaman
Freshwater Aquarist
South Carolina Aquarium
Charleston, SC

#35 Doug_Dame

Doug_Dame
  • NANFA Member

Posted 02 May 2019 - 10:18 PM

I have an unavoidable family conflict. I'm miffed, but unless I could borrow the services of a private jet there's no way I can make it.

Doug Dame

Floridian now back in Florida

#36 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 16 May 2019 - 07:09 PM

I have stockpiled a bunch of heavy duty styro coolers.  Should i bring any for folks who want to ship fish?

Casper Cox

#37 keepnatives

keepnatives
  • Regional Rep

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:04 AM

Does anyone want to share a room wed may 29th. I have a room thursday - sat but now plan on arriving wed.
Mike Lucas
Mohawk-Hudson Watershed
Schenectady NY

#38 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 08 July 2019 - 10:55 AM

As a thank you to Martin & Kay Moore for their excellent cookout at the Mississippi convention i designed and had Dennis print a shirt and apron for the two of them.

It was some fine eating and much enjoyed by the hungry folks.

Attached File  Apron.JPG   95.94KB   1 downloads

Attached File  Art.JPG   122.1KB   1 downloads

Casper Cox

#39 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 08 July 2019 - 01:53 PM

Nice!  Those were some fine eats, I'd say they deserve that swag.

Surprised we haven't put more feedback about the convention on the forum- it had great hosts, food, auction, locations, talks, attendees, and oh yeah, fish!  A big thank you to all involved in putting it on!  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and saw some truly fantastic fishes!

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

#40 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow

Posted 09 July 2019 - 09:54 AM

W A R N I N G !   Do not view before lunch !

Attached File  30-PigEarSandwich.JPG   86.13KB   1 downloads

Here is a not so quite culinary delight...

Attached File  40-GroundSausage.JPG   90.23KB   1 downloads

And our host enjoyed a sausage slider.  The tamales were very good but i have had one half a pig ear sandwich in my life and am content with that number.

I and others sent in more fishy photos for an upcoming AC.

Casper Cox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users