The Lunker Library - The New Record System

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:37 PM

Hi everyone. I would like to announce that there is a new fish record program. Lunker Library- www.lunkerlibrary.com  is now accepting record applications. The rules are simple and I'm sure some of you in the warmer climates could start entering for records immediately. Unlike other record programs, there is no size minimum and Lunker Library uses length not weight for record keeping. We also accept fish caught other ways than rod & reel, so if you seine or use a dip net like I do you can still enter your catch for a record. Please share this with other anglers and angling/fish related groups. Hopefully, this gets a little following.

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#2 zooxanthellae

zooxanthellae
  • NANFA Member
  • North Carolina

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

Neat idea! 

#3 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:14 PM

Awesome! Thank you!

#4 Desymond

Desymond
  • NANFA Guest
  • Columbus, Ohio. Big Darby Creek Watershed

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:35 PM

Just submitted my 92mm (9.6 grams) Bluebreast Darter that myself, Brian Zimmerman, and Zach Alley caught with a seine on the Walhonding River, Ohio back in 2017. I don't have a photo on the measuring board, but we did measure all fish that day for our research project so it was in my data. I've been bragging about this guy for the past year and a half now, so hopefully it's accepted into the library. We recaptured that same Bluebreast a year later (94mm and 9.8 grams) but don't have a photo from that day.

Photo of the lunker above an average male. 

Attached Files

#5 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

I put you in man. Right now I don't have a problem with it and I'm sure your witnesses can attest to its size. Congrats on the first record into the lunker library

"Amateurs can potentially make valuable contributions to our knowledge of fishes". - Etnier and Starnes

#6 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:34 AM

O....M....G....

Nick L.

#7 ShadetreeIchthyologist

ShadetreeIchthyologist
  • Regional Rep
  • Charleston SC

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:27 PM

O....M....G....

You sound excited :laugh:

#8 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 07:27 AM

By far the biggest Bluebreast I've ever seen.  I've seen plenty of hefty males in the Clinch river in VA, but not at that length.  

Nick L.

#9 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

THAT is an incredible darter! I have a rainbow in my tank I call "Bruiser" because he's about 2 1/4" long. He's tiny compared to this Bluebreast. Would LOVE to have that fish in my tank! For a good while the Bluebreast was classified as endangered here in Ohio as it's range shrank because of poor water quality, but as of 2012, it's been removed from the threatened species list. However, careful conservation is needed to keep these fish healthy and spreading in our waters. They seem to be a very low water quality intolerant and sensitive fish. Hopefully they'll keep expanding in range.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users