A flash of sky blue!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johnnymax

johnnymax
  • NANFA Guest
  • Buna, Texas

Posted 13 June 2019 - 04:22 PM

I was hunting for rocks for my new aquarium set up and I was walking past a drainage ditch in a small town.

Of course I had to stop and see what was beneath the surface. It was where a 36” conc. storm drain pipes emptied from under the road into an open ditch through a conc. headwall.

Brush and trees shaded the ditch and outfall, so the water was shaded and calm.

Instantly I saw small perch dart for cover as my silhouette cleared the brush and I became visible to them.

I froze and slowly they emerged and went about their business chasing and running.

There were many mosquito fish scattered around. Then I caught a couple of flashes of bright sky blue.

I strained to see what it was thinking it was probably a bluegill, but thinking it was too bright at the same time.

Then I saw it! It was a sailfin molly about 3.5 inches long. He was perusing a female and he was dancing all around her showing off. (Reminded me of my daughter’s boyfriend)

I watched and took in the world hidden under the surface. I would not say it was peaceful, at least not to the fish, there was a lot going on!

I have been back again. Because that image has been on my mind ever since I saw it.

I wanted to catch the beautiful molly, but so far I don’t have the heart to pull him away from his little paradise. Eventually I will set up a tank that he will be happy in and I may bring a couple home. It would not be right to catch any before I am ready to house and properly care for them. I probably need an automatic feeder for them also.

I wish I had an underwater camera to see their world from their point of view.

Is there an affordable underwater camera?

I mean a cheap underwater camera that takes clear video?

"I work so I can buy things, give things & do things"

#2 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 13 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

i enjoy your perception and words.

Many use an Olympus TG series.

I have a 4 and they are now up to 6.

There are many brands nowadays to select from but the TG seems valued by many.

I still struggle with mine.

Good Luck and continue sharing.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#3 trygon

trygon
  • NANFA Member
  • Knoxville, Tennessee

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

I will echo what Casper said, the Olympus TG series is a good value for the money and as far as underwater photography goes they're downright cheap.  With the release of TG-6 the 5 has started selling at reduced prices, look around on the web and see what you can find.

Bryce Gibson
There are sharks in every ocean...except Billy Ocean.

#4 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Isn't the world hidden just below the water's surface incredible, gorgeous and mystifying? Growing up as a kid in the 70's, I loved the National Geographic documentaries and articles on the hidden realm of aquatic life. Still love these programs today!

Welcome aboard!

Chris M.

#5 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:16 PM

I might recommend a GoPro... they are good underwater and are not really expensive for waterproof video.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users