Photo

4 Day June Weekend.

4 replies to this topic

#1 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

Thursday, June 20th.

We arrived at the Conasauga River about 11 am and found the water reasonably clear.  The water was a bit high and speckled with particulate from the night's rainfall.  All the rocks were covered with a 1/4" veneer of silt.  Disturbance is going on somewhere upstream of the Snorkel Hole.

10-Map.JPG

You Are Here.

11-Sign.JPG

All that remains to identify the snorkel hole, a sign up by the toilets.  The sign that was BY the Snorkel Hole is now gone.  Lost by Cherokee National Forest personnel.   :(
I made that sign and every visitor appreciated it.
The loss of that sign agitates me greatly.

12-BlueShiner1.JPG

I mastered a new trick.  Knot up a small piece of bread, roll it hard and tight.  Put the dough ball under a rock.  Focus on the rock and wait for your favorite fish to feed.

13-Tri.JPG

Three Colors this shiner.

14-Cray.JPG

A Cray soon appeared.  It obviously smelled the bread and came acrawlin'.

15-Cray2.JPG

Quite content feeding on the bread, even with a camera pushed nearly on top of him.

16-Cray3.JPG

Resting.

17-Hog.JPG

Rootin' Hog nearby.

18-Donald.JPG

The Donald holding stones to weigh himself down to the target rock and a visiting Blue Shiner.

19-Dougal.JPG

2 Rob McDo's... today.  The standing is a Dougal, the other a Donald.

20-FishBar.JPG

Donald treated us to a fine meal at the Bald Headed Bistro in Cleveland, Tennessee where this Colorado fish fossil is part of the bar surface.

21-OptimistLunch.JPG

Friday, June 21.

Optimist Club meeting.  I made a 20 minute presentation leading onto a screening of "Hidden Rivers".  BBQ cookout that evening at the President's house.  

Saturday, June 22.

23-Stranded.JPG

This long legged spider was trapped on a rock island.  Round and round he went until i offered him transport via my capped head and thus freedom at the next landfall.

24-StressedWT.JPG

A HIGHLY stressed Whitetail Shiner.  Unusual color, almost like bloodied.  Round and round in the shallows by Bre's feet.

25-Gnarl.JPG

A composition showing the ever increasing turbidity.  About 5' visibility when we got there.  An approaching stormline and rain from the night before reduced it to 3'... as the sky fell.

22-Snorkel.JPG

Leaving before the rain, 2 shivering, one with mask issues and another happy and content.

Sunday, June 23.

Returned to the same site.

26-RL-Torrent.JPG

Visibility had greatly increased after 24 hours.  Redline Darter at the rifflehead, under a bright blue sky.

27-RLD-Flip.JPG

Quick flip in the torrent.

28-RLD-Profile.JPG

Hunkerin' down.

29-Sculpin.JPG

Green eyed Lurker

30-WT.JPG

Galactura.
Today a short snorkel, introducing my Brother's YO8 Granddaughter to snorkeling.  Current, crawdads and cold soon took her cheer.

Nice weekend all and all.  3 Snorkels.  5th viewing of Hidden Rivers.  20 minute presentation.  500 dollars plus raised for FWI.  8 year old dunked.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 25 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

wonderful stories and photos!

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:18 AM

Outstanding pictures and another great report.  Well done!  My favorites are the redline darter pics...stunning!

Kevin Wilson

#4 dsuperman

dsuperman
  • NANFA Member

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:49 PM

Nice  write up ,beautiful photos. What a weekend.

#5 mattknepley

mattknepley
  • NANFA Member
  • Smack-dab between the Savannah and the Saluda.

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

Love the Redline photos!  And the bread trick.  

I understand all about the silting.  Several of my first seining and dipnetting spots that were as nice and rocky as can be are all large diametered sand traps now...

Matt Knepley
"No thanks, a third of a gopher would merely arouse my appetite..."

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users