Photo

New to natives

33 replies to this topic

#21 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:58 PM

Probably both. They don't have several hundred buddies boosting their confidence anymore either.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#22 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:09 PM

Takes them a few days, but eventually they adapt. Took my baby largemouth bass about 3 days to adjust. Now he simply waits at the front of the tank ALL the time for food, and what an appetite he has. He's 3" long and will quickly eat 15 -1/2" to 5/8" long fry fish.

Give them time and they will adjust. They have to get hungry enough and get used to seeing some large monster(you) wandering around in front of their little world and come to realize that this monster is their food-bringer.

Good luck!

Chris M.

#23 midwest

midwest
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 20 September 2019 - 02:51 PM

Thanks, they have been eating better each day.  I am trying to get in touch with the fish farm I have been talking to to get some long ear sunfish.

#24 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 21 September 2019 - 04:19 PM

You are welcome and good luck!

Chris M.

#25 midwest

midwest
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 04 October 2019 - 03:43 PM

As expected once they got the hang of it the two perch are eating like pigs. The bluegill are growing really quick too. Today I added 5 long ear sun fish from Jonahs. The only other thing I plan to add right now is a yellow bullhead catfish. If I could get a small rock bass I might add it as well but dont want to get overstocked. I might be pushing the limit as is.

#26 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 05 October 2019 - 04:38 PM

If you're close enough and don't mind a drive, I have a tank adjusted 3.5" yellow bullhead catfish to give away. I live in Central Ohio. Please let me know.

Thanks

Chris M.

#27 midwest

midwest
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:46 PM

Out of curiosity what city are you in?

#28 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 07 October 2019 - 08:48 AM

Guys, take discussions that might contain personal information to the DM function. We ask folks what drainage they live in (in fact, its a good idea to put it in you profile) so people can better understand your local fishes. But some folks are hesitant about too much personally identifiable data on the web.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#29 midwest

midwest
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

Will do.

#30 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 07 October 2019 - 03:52 PM

No problem. Pm sent.

#31 DissidentMantis

DissidentMantis
  • NANFA Guest
  • Illinois

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:20 PM

Nice tank, does it seem overcrowded? I have a 75 gallon and I am considering 4 Long ear as well.

#32 midwest

midwest
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 16 October 2019 - 03:14 PM

Actually right now it appears understocked as everythis is relatively small. The 2 perch are close to 6 inches and the biggest of the two hybrid bluegill is about 4 inches. The longear I got are less the two inches. It's tough to remember what it will look like when they are grown instead of it looking almost empty right now.

#33 midwest

midwest
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 30 October 2019 - 05:12 AM

No problem. Pm sent.

Fleendar, if you see this check you PMs

Thanks

#34 midwest

midwest
  • NANFA Guest
  • Indiana

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:31 AM

Wanted to thank Fleendar, I took the short drive and met up with him and was given a nice bullhead catfish for my 125.  A great forum member going out of his way to help me find what I was looking for.  Right now the bullhead is hiding and getting used to it's new environment.  Once it gets settled in and allows me Ill post some pics.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users