Photo

Looking for Mountain Redbelly Dace

22 replies to this topic

#21 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:46 PM

The suckers appear to be blacktip jumprock, not hogsuckers or torrents.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#22 minorhero

minorhero
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:50 PM

If you were solo seining, it may be tough to catch them.  We had the best luck with a 10' seine going through 4-6' deep holes.  One you coral them, they are easier to pick off with a dipnet or smaller seine I suppose.  If you found two, I'm sure there are a good amount more. 

Regarding the sculpin, Matt was right in the sense that they used to be mottled sculpins (C. bairdi).  There were a few discussions with some of the fish that I posted years ago about where they fell in line with the 3 species.  Dave Neely was pretty active on the forum at the time and is co-authored here https://www.research...n_United_States.  

I was solo seining with a 6' seine. Mostly walking backwards with the net being pulled along. The kick shuffle method was not particularly effective for me when going after the dace.

There were a few spots in the stream that were too deep for me to go into and definitely too deep for me to solo seine in. If they were hiding in there that would explain my issue. I had a minnow trap with me as well but placed it horribly at the start of my day in a relatively shallow and fast moving location. I only caught 1 blacknose dace with the trap. Apparently what I should have done is go to the deep water and throw my trap in there. Probably would have had substantially better luck. Ahh well, next time ;)

#23 osburni

osburni
  • NANFA Member
  • Greenbrier Valley, West Virginia

Posted 19 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

Minnow traps can be very effective for MRBD.

Check out http://forum.nanfa.o...nows-with-trap/

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users