Photo

Any Cyprinid Sustains Territory Outside of Breeding

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:45 AM

I am playing with an exotic ornamental (Red-tailed Shark) trying to make sense of what they are doing. They appear inclined to maintain feeding territories. As I try to work out method for housing a group it has become apparent no information is out easy to find on natural behavior in natural environment. Do any of our north American native minnows maintain territories outside of breeding?

Find ways for people not already interested in natives to value them.

#2 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:00 PM

Cyprinellas seem to, at least in captivity.  But then, when is it NOT breeding season for a Cyprinella in a tank with year-round summer temp and light?

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#3 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:03 PM

Cyprinella females do it as well?

#4 gerald

gerald
  • Global Moderator
  • Wake Forest, North Carolina

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

They chase and nip each other; not sure if "territorial" is the right term.  More like testing the dominance heirarchy.

Gerald Pottern
-----------------------
Hangin' on the Neuse
"Taxonomy is the diaper used to organize the mess of evolution into discrete packages" - M.Sandel

#5 centrarchid

centrarchid
  • NANFA Guest

Posted 23 February 2020 - 01:54 PM

Thus far I have found only a couple of the centrarchids that maintain territories outside of breeding. Looks like our native warmwater fishes do not use the approach very often. Some cichlids and apparently Red-tailed Sharks do it in a big way.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users