Photo

Collecting Trip in Middlefield, CT

3 replies to this topic

#1 DannyKeepsFish

DannyKeepsFish
  • NANFA Guest
  • CT

Posted 08 June 2020 - 02:19 PM

I did a short collecting trip just in some local brooks/streams in Middlefield, CT over the weekend. I was mainly just testing out my equipment and seeing what was out there. I'm more interested in figuring out what is local to my area then figuring out what I want to keep.

What I caught

about 20 or so Eastern blacknose dace or creek chub. Pretty sure these were dace

2 unknown fish (pic attached) 

1 Golden Shiner - was about 2 inches long

What I saw

Northern Watersnake - slid across the water right between my legs, was about a 1 1/2 feet long, didn't even bat an eye and kept on his/her marry way. This isn't the first time I've came across one of these, the last time I did (same spot almost) I got a good look at their markings because they are often confused with cottonmouths which we have as well. 

Juv Salmon - this was were the stream slowed down and it became a pool that was probably 8 feet wide and 4 feet deep. There were other fish there that weren't the same color or markings, I'm not 110% sure obviously because I have no pic and no fish but in my minimum research it looks to be a contender for sure. They also stock salmon in that same river. Couldn't catch him at all, I tried an umbrella net with some bread/hot dogs and finally some worms without much luck. He would be interested until I moved and boom he was back under this large rock that I wasn't going to try and move.

Attached Images

• 20200607_115106.jpg

#2 JasonL

JasonL
  • NANFA Member
  • Kentucky

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

Looks kind of like a juvenile warmouth.   Have they been introduced to CT?

#3 DannyKeepsFish

DannyKeepsFish
  • NANFA Guest
  • CT

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:13 AM

not that im aware of but anything is possible it seems lol. I'll be going back to that spot and checking things out as the summer goes on. It isn't an easy trek to get there so hopefully nobody else goes there 

#4 UncleWillie

UncleWillie
  • NANFA Member
  • Georgia

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:34 PM

Sounds like a great trip! Your sunfish looks like a young redear to me.

Willie P

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users