Photo

How is NANAFA/everyone doing?

27 replies to this topic

#21 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 03 February 2021 - 04:35 PM

"no Covid in the creeks" ... mink are susceptible to Covid.  I wonder if otters are too?

Just don't kiss'em, Casper

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#22 L Link

L Link
  • NANFA Member
  • Atlantic Slope of VA

Posted 03 February 2021 - 06:00 PM

"no Covid in the creeks" ... mink are susceptible to Covid.  I wonder if otters are too?

An intriguing point, actually. We do have minks as well, though I hadn’t heard of minks having issues outside of Utah and Europe. I guess I’ll have to be sure not to inhale any mustelid breath!

Loughran (Lock) Cabe

#23 Casper

Casper
  • NANFA Fellow
  • Chattanooga, TN alongside South Chickamauga Creek, just upstream of the mighty Tennessee River.

Posted 04 February 2021 - 01:28 PM

Lock wrote the nice adventure article featured in a recent American Currents.  I enjoy those articles most when i get my newest issue every 3 months.  And it was fun spending a bit of time along the Cement Pond with Gerald while he was working a survey in my hometown.  And he made an interesting discovery while in the Tennessee River watershed... Rainbows.  Surely somebody releasing bait bucket pretty minnows.

Let's all have a nice year forthcoming.

No worries for me with otters, beavers or weasels.  I did see a super cute YouTube of a young adopted beaver.  Just type in a search and spend hours smiling.  I remember Dr. Roston had a nice video of a young beaver sitting along a creek.  But YouTube has a lot of pet beavers building dams in the living room.

Casper Cox
Chattanooga, near the TN Divide on BlueFishRidge overlooking South Chickamauga Creek.

#24 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 04 February 2021 - 05:03 PM

There is actually a resident mink at my local snorkeling hole. It has approached me quite closely - within a couple of feet on several occasions. It's very cool to watch it swim and hunt underwater. One time I saw it come out from under a boulder with a large crayfish and then take it up on shore to eat. I've wanted to get some good underwater photos of it, but so far I haven't had much luck (it's a very fast swimmer, and it doesn't stay still for long).

#25 L Link

L Link
  • NANFA Member
  • Atlantic Slope of VA

Posted 04 February 2021 - 08:24 PM

Whoa, I’ve seen one wild but can’t imagine swimming with one. Hopefully one day soon, must be amazing.

Loughran (Lock) Cabe

#26 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 04 February 2021 - 09:55 PM

Yeah, it was a really cool experience. I didn't realize how aquatic they are. Very much like a miniature otter. 

#27 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 05 February 2021 - 08:15 AM

There is actually a resident mink at my local snorkeling hole. It has approached me quite closely - within a couple of feet on several occasions. It's very cool to watch it swim and hunt underwater. One time I saw it come out from under a boulder with a large crayfish and then take it up on shore to eat. I've wanted to get some good underwater photos of it, but so far I haven't had much luck (it's a very fast swimmer, and it doesn't stay still for long).

I was remembering our momentary otter encounter and thinking that it was hard to get within 6 feet of those speedy dudes

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#28 Isaac Szabo

Isaac Szabo
  • NANFA Member
  • Marble Falls, AR

Posted 05 February 2021 - 12:06 PM

For sure! There's no keeping up with them, so for a close encounter they have to come to you. 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users