Photo

Spontaneous Underwater Photo/Video in the 2020s?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WheelsOC

WheelsOC
  • NANFA Member

Posted 05 January 2021 - 06:52 PM

It's a slow-moving forum, and some of the recommended equipment or techniques might not be so useful to new eyes anymore.

Several times I've found myself on a walk in a nice park or recreation area with nothing but my smartphone, say on a lunch break, and happen upon a stream with a few fishes darting around. And since they move quickly, snapping one photo can be tricky. So I've often found myself struggling to take videos of found fish.

There has to be a better way than "Turn phone upside-down, dip cameras into stream" to get decent photos or videos of fish at the spur of the moment. Not everyone is a full-fledged photographer, and even fewer keep a nice camera rig in their glovebox at all times. Any tips, tricks, favorite bits of portable gear to keep handy? I know boroscopes/endoscopes have exploded in recent years as bona fide smartphone peripherals, it occurred to me that something like that could be nearly ideal (assuming the picture is decent).

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

I think a GoPro would be a good way to go.  Small and light, you could pretty much take it with you anytime.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Robert Lamb

Robert Lamb
  • NANFA Member

Posted 09 January 2021 - 05:57 PM

I have a Fuji XP, it gets the job done. Isn't amazing quality but I have been able to turn out some decent videos. I'm sure they could be better if I had the patience to figure out what all the settings do. It's also small and fits in my pocket well enough that it isn't bothersome to carry. An extending pole certainly helps maneuver it so as to not disturb the fish as much but I have gotten some decent pictures just by holding it underwater.

This video is while I had it on a stick. 

I got this just holding it underwater

Pair of coosa darters

#4 Josh Blaylock

Josh Blaylock
  • Board of Directors
  • Central Kentucky

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

I have a Fuji XP, it gets the job done. Isn't amazing quality but I have been able to turn out some decent videos. I'm sure they could be better if I had the patience to figure out what all the settings do. It's also small and fits in my pocket well enough that it isn't bothersome to carry. An extending pole certainly helps maneuver it so as to not disturb the fish as much but I have gotten some decent pictures just by holding it underwater.

This video is while I had it on a stick. 

I got this just holding it underwater

I have a Fujifilm XP also and agree with the above completely.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Josh Blaylock - Central KY
NANFA on Facebook - NANFA on YouTube 

KYCREEKS - KRWW - KWA

I hope to have God on my side, but I must have Kentucky.

- Abraham Lincoln, 1861

#5 mirandajoseph549

mirandajoseph549
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ontario

Posted 18 January 2021 - 10:59 AM

the water is so clean ... looks very peaceful!

Mark Twain

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

https://www.worktime.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users