Tank wall hard-to-remove green algae.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 02 March 2022 - 11:37 PM

I've dealt with this for awhile but wanted to ask.... I get this micro-thin and spotty green algae on my tank walls, and unlike brown algae, it almost takes steel wool to remove. I typically use (lightly) the green Scotch bright pads to remove it. This stuff sucks, and apparently I am doing something wrong. I am using softened well water in my tank. What is this stuff, why is it so hard to remove, and what can I do to prevent it? I understand that reducing nutrients in the water is an algae preventative, but this stuff isn't on the rocks and artificial plants, but on the tank walls.

Blessings and thank you.

The Grumpy Old Man.

#2 littlen

littlen
  • NANFA Member
  • Washington, D.C.

Posted 03 March 2022 - 10:40 AM

I have the same stuff in a tank of mine.  2 choices:

1-a razor blade.  Comes off like buttah'.

2-magic eraser pad.  Takes a little more effort than the razor but better than most other abrasive pads.  As always, get some without any soap.  There are much cheaper ones available (off-brand) than giving Mr. Clean all your money. (Amazon search; "melamine sponge")

Nick L.

#3 CarsonWargo123

CarsonWargo123
  • NANFA Guest
  • Maryland

Posted 03 March 2022 - 11:35 AM

I agree with littlen, razor blades work really well to remove green spot algae. If you are OK with snails, I have had good success with nerite snails to eat it off the glass.

#4 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 08 March 2022 - 08:13 PM

I also use razor blades held in a cheap plastic Stanley handle.  Buy them in bulk and only use them once especially if they rust.  It takes off all of the algae off of my glass.

Kevin Wilson

#5 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 08 March 2022 - 10:47 PM

Thank you everyone. I'll try the razor blade mounted to a special stick. I have a machine shop at my disposal. So I can make a tool for algae removal easily, OR.... I can buy disposable scrapers. I have river snails and two Japanese trapdoor snails, but they aren't effective enough and my darters eat any small river snails that are hatched. I had over 50 river snails as of 2 months ago. I *might* have one left....

Blessings.

The GOM.

#6 Warbadger

Warbadger
  • NANFA Member
  • Loudoun, VA

Posted 30 March 2022 - 07:18 AM

2-magic eraser pad.  Takes a little more effort than the razor but better than most other abrasive pads.  As always, get some without any soap.  There are much cheaper ones available (off-brand) than giving Mr. Clean all your money. (Amazon search; "melamine sponge")

This is what I use, wiping down the glass every 2 weeks.  Aquarium Coop sells them at a reasonable price with no cleaner/soap on them.

Edited by Warbadger, 30 March 2022 - 07:19 AM.

#7 Fleendar the Magnificent

Fleendar the Magnificent
  • NANFA Guest
  • Ohio

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:46 PM

Oh yeah.... The razor blade works wonders.... I just have to manufacture a stick to mount them on.

Thanks again everyone.

Blessings.

The Grumpy Old Man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users