Powerhead for 55g Potential Minnow Tank

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2007 - 11:21 PM

I'm trying to compile a list of products to buy for a planted 55 gallon minnow tank that I want to set up, and I've already scouted out a location to collect the fish from. I'd like to replicate their natural habitat about as well as I can, though I will be getting plants from a variety of locations and will likely use the Walstad soil + gravel substrate. I want to use a powerhead with a comparable flow rate to that of the stream in which the minnows currently (no pun intended) reside. It is not at all quick moving, but there is a gentle flow... here are pictures of the location:

Attached File  post_565_1179979900.jpg   210.63KB   2 downloads

This next one shows the movement a bit:

Attached File  DCFC0055.JPG   565.38KB   1 downloads

The reason that I'm asking for help is that I've never actually had a powerhead before, so it's hard for me to gauge their strengths. Also, I'd really like something quiet, as this will be in my room. Can anyone help? If more pictures would be helpful I can probably get some. Thanks!

#2 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2007 - 01:23 PM

Check out this thread for a river tank system design. I built something similar in a 55 gal recently and the fish love it. I have a lot of fish in the tank so I also have an aquaclear 500 (named the "110" now?) near the end by the sponge filters.

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=1366

#3 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 03:26 PM

Thanks! Those tanks are amazing. I guess I never really said it in my original post, though, but I was really hoping to find out what strength powerhead I should use to get a gentle current like that of this stream. That river tank design is amazing though; I might try to do something like that if I can afford it.

#4 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

Here are some pictures of plants that I've collected:
Attached File  DSCN1655.JPG   61.78KB   0 downloads
Attached File  DSCN1654.JPG   59.79KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

#5 Guest_fuzzyletters_*

Guest_fuzzyletters_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:32 AM

Here's a picture of a 10 gallon I set up with those plants to test the Walstad method etc:
Attached File  DCFC0007.JPG   273.54KB   1 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users