Photo

New Member looking for information

4 replies to this topic

#1 Caroleinwv

Caroleinwv
  • NANFA Guest
  • West Virginia

Posted 24 November 2023 - 06:19 PM

Greetings to all! I am an older person in WV who decided to go back to Graduate School at West Liberty University in WV. We have an awesome department specializing in Crayfish, Zoo Sci, MicroBio and.... I am currently working on research using GIS. Part of my work is to find locations both histoical and current of Hornleaf Riverweed. Sci name -Podostemum Ceratophylum. it is a foundation plant that provides shelter for aquatific invertebrates and fish such as darters. If anyone here can provide location information in Lat, Long it would be greatly appreciated. We are hoping to work on reintroducing it to areas where it has been lost. i am also in the WV Master Naturalist Program.

Looking forward to learning in this great community!

#2 AquaHobbyist123

AquaHobbyist123
  • NANFA Member
  • Upper Catawba Watershed in Caldwell County, NC south of Boone

Posted 27 November 2023 - 03:02 PM

Welcome!

Thomas Lyons

Fortunate to have multiple watersheds within a reasonable drive, with the Upper Yadkin, Watauga, and Upper New watersheds within 40 minutes.

#3 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 28 November 2023 - 10:53 AM

Welcome Carole! I don't think that I've seen it in the Potomac watershed yet, but if I find some, I'll definitely post the location here. I've been primarily collecting stargrass for my river tank, and probably overlooked it because I wasn't searching for it.

Apparently, folks have reported it in Maryland per the Maryland Biodiversity Project. You might find this useful:

https://www.maryland...y.com/view/2170

iNaturalist would also be a good source.

Kevin Wilson

#4 Caroleinwv

Caroleinwv
  • NANFA Guest
  • West Virginia

Posted 12 January 2024 - 10:42 PM

Thank you! Unfortuneately, Hornleaf Riverweed/Postemum Ceratopyllum is one of those plants that is easily ignored. Good luck fininf the Stargrass!

#5 Chasmodes

Chasmodes
  • NANFA Member
  • Central Maryland

Posted 16 January 2024 - 07:45 AM

Hi Carole.

I mean, I probably overlooked the Podostemum as I've only collected the stargrass so far. I would like more plant diversity in my river tank, so the Podostemum would be a welcome addition. I'll let you know if I find any this spring and summer.

Kevin Wilson

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users