Please help ID Missouri River Fish

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:07 PM

I caught some interesting fish today while netting aquatic invertebrates in a flooded field. A few weeks ago the Missouri River overflowed and many of the fields are dry now, but there are a couple areas that still have water. These fish were caught in a pool about 30 feet long by 20 feet wide with a max depth of about 1.5 feet. I collected them by dragging a net (3/32" mesh) as I walked through the water.
This first fish is about 1.5 inches long. It may be a baby or just a small fish- I know this might make ID more difficult, but it stood out from the others, and it looked a little strange to me. These pics are a little blurry. As I was trying to take pics, I was constantly being bitten by flies and mosquitos, so I may have shaken the camera a little. I will try to get some clearer pics later.

Posted Image

This next fish is either a paddlefish or sturgeon of some kind. I believe the only sturgeon choices we have in Kansas are Shovelnose, Lake, and Pallid Sturgeon. This fish is about 1.5-2 inches long.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This last fish is a longnose or shortnose gar. It is about 1.25 inches long.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 06:26 PM

the sturgeon looks like a paddle fish to me
the top one I think is some species of shad maybe mooneye or golden eye but I dont know what the young of those species look like so my guess is as good as yours.

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:23 PM

Double post :P ....otherwise as seen on AP also....

1. Mooneye or Goldeye

2. paddlefish

3. Me thinks shortnosed (Not based on snout size but characteristics of the young at this size) but it may be a Longnosed...I'm only very familiar with Longnosed from northern populations and some variance may exist. The fish looks correct though for a shortnose given proportions and secondary coloration.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:32 PM

the sturgeon looks like a paddle fish to me
the top one I think is some species of shad maybe mooneye or golden eye but I dont know what the young of those species look like so my guess is as good as yours.

BTW...way to go on that ID!!!!!! Dead on....

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

thanks but I was wondering how to tell the difference between mooneye and golden eye fry.

#6 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 07:46 PM

You guys beat me to it before I could change my post to sturgeon or paddlefish. I had thought about paddlefish before, but I had always seen the spoonbill on them, and only in pictures. These are the first paddlefish Ive seen in person. I also have never seen a goldeye or shortnose gar before either. So quite a day for first time fishies.

Also were lots of im guessing carp, and other small fish. If I notice anything else unusual, I will post new pics.

#7 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:33 PM

Based on the broad snout, I would consider the possibility that that is an alligator gar.

#8 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 08:54 PM

Based on the broad snout, I would consider the possibility that that is an alligator gar.

Nope..Gator gar are very distinctive and would be much darker with a defined white stripe along the snout and anterior portion of the back. They also show a light lateral stripe.

This is definitely a Lepisosteus and given the characteristics it is either L. osseus or L. platostomus. I lean toward platostomus as Osseus tend to already show a bit more snout growth by this size.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 May 2007 - 10:12 PM

Very very very cool.

#10 Guest_iturnrocks_*

Guest_iturnrocks_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 12:38 AM

Well the paddlefish dont last long in captivity- all were dead by 10 pm. I preserved a couple in alcohol. The gar seems to be doing fine, as well as a few goldeye. Its raining now, and their tanks are outside, so hopefully they will fill up a little- I only had about 4 inches of water before.

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:27 AM

Well the paddlefish dont last long in captivity- all were dead by 10 pm. I preserved a couple in alcohol. The gar seems to be doing fine, as well as a few goldeye. Its raining now, and their tanks are outside, so hopefully they will fill up a little- I only had about 4 inches of water before.

Need a good home for the Gar I know one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users