Where To Find ID Pictures of Fish

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 09:52 AM

Like most people on this website, I am constantly rummaging around trying to pick up more information on our Native Fish. However, I would like to know what areas outside the Great Lakes Drainage have. Is there a definite source of photos for Native Fish? Our Nanfa Gallery is doing a good job at working towards having all our fish photographed and documented. Are there places that are really good sources of pictures of our native fish? I think a good running list is needed of sources that have great photos of Native Fish for identification purposes and for casual browsing to learn about what's out there. For example, I would like to go to Kentucky soon to collect darters. I'm going to search to find a good source of photos to see what would be interesting to try to collect as an aquarium species. If anyone knows a good source, just put a link to it here, would be nice to have a running list of sites we could all add to our "Favorites" in our web browsers.

-Nate-

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

The NANFA photo gallery is one source. Also check out the NatureServe site through the explorer feature, which leads to species summaries. The summaries include links to Google searches if they don't come with a picture in the upper right hand corner. A surprising number of natives have no photos available on the web, or sometimes they're of dubious value. Or, you can buy images from some photographers like William Roston who have gone to astonishing lengths to get underwater photos using strobe lights.

#3 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:23 AM

You will probably have a hard time finding pictures of KY's endemics. Matt has the best picture of a frecklebelly darter on the web. The NANFA gallery is still in the works and will include a couple of samples of each species.

#4 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

I was searching for an answer to my question and came across this website also...

http://www.nativefis...2b72167041dc41e

hopefull it is helpful to some people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users