Best feeder?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2007 - 09:45 PM

What would be the best feeder fish for warmouth? I was thinking fathead minnows or Gambusia for adults, and H. formosa for the younguns, but if there are others, then I'll take suggestions. Basically, I just need to know which ones would be healthiest and most prolific.

#2 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 07:47 PM

The best feeder for a warmouth is what will fit in its mouth. Of course the best feeder may not be fish at all but crayfish and snails. But with the large mouth they have and the teeth on its tongue I think what ever moves would be of food value to the beautiful fish a warmouth is. The chamelion of the water world. Mild manored despite its name, it is very sedate and non aggressive. Nice fish to have, and tough as nails to keep with no problems. A very undemanding fish indeed.

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:00 PM

The chamelion of the water world. Mild manored despite its name, it is very sedate and non aggressive. Nice fish to have, and tough as nails to keep with no problems. A very undemanding fish indeed.

I agree. My favorite fish. Well, it's tied with grass/redfin pickerel and N. longears. I couldn't choose a favorite, so they're all up there. If you want any, send me a PM. I have several males I need to get rid of so I can give all my time to my breeding pair. They were wildcaught, but they're beautiful fish.

#4 Guest_flamingo_*

Guest_flamingo_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Idk, for feeder fish, I mainly feed wild caught lake chubs (for smaller fish), and smaller shiners for larger fish. Good for a feeder, and easily found and caught.

#5 Guest_4WheelVFR_*

Guest_4WheelVFR_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 10:43 PM

Gambusia, they breed like rabbits and are easy to find/catch.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:18 PM

What would be the best feeder fish for warmouth? I was thinking fathead minnows or Gambusia for adults, and H. formosa for the younguns, but if there are others, then I'll take suggestions. Basically, I just need to know which ones would be healthiest and most prolific.

You have Heterandria in that part of Georgia?

#7 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:26 PM

Nope, but they're on aquabid all the time. Plus, my grandpa and I go to Roanoke, Alabama every once in a while. I caught some there when I was about 9. Though, they could have just been baby shiners or something, but I think they were H. formosa.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:32 PM

My advice would be get something you can find locally. There are plenty of gambusia to be had.

#9 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:41 PM

We have plenty of Gambusia holbrooki. And right now, all the females are about to bust with babies, so I could probably get one and have feeders for my baby warmouth for a month(or two). What should I feed the feeders(hehe) to make them healthy?

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2007 - 11:47 PM

Flakes will do fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users